Is mild spots of head shaking due to feathers growing in?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by portianaomi, Dec 2, 2010.

1. portianaomi

portianaomi Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2009
    West Sacramento
    I've noticed that my sizzles are shaking their head occasionally. I don't see any bugs. Is this normal when they get new feathers in after their first molt? [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    That's not really normal. I would take a good look at them and check for any signs of an illness like nasal drainage or watery eyes. They could have picked up some type of germ that leads to a respiratory or nasal/sinus symptoms......Also, check for parasites again. some parasites are very elusive......

Good luck to you!
    Sharon

3. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Aren't there some mites that live in/around the ears?

4. peepacheep

peepacheep Chillin' With My Peeps

I have an EE that started shaking her head and stepping backwards when she dropped lots of feathers a few weeks ago. Her appetite also dropped way off, she was going to roost at night with very little in her crop. Have had her indoors for 3 weeks. Her appetite has improved and feathers are coming in well. The head shaking and backward stepping has eased up considerably, now it happens occasionally after swallowing food. Her mouth looks fine, no signs of lice or discharge. Not sure if it is a crop, molting, or mite issue. If it is mites what is recommended to control them?

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

6. peepacheep

peepacheep Chillin' With My Peeps

ChickensAreSweet, Thank-you! That sounds like what she has, right down to the pale comb. Will track down one of those mite treatments.

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:You are welcome! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by