Is (mt. Healthy hatcheries) a reliable hatchery to order from?

Camilladavisss

Chirping
Dec 12, 2020
I’m planning on ordering chicks this spring and my local feed store recommended mt. Healthy hatchery to me so I got to looking and picked some chicks out on there so does anyone know if this hatchery is good and reliable on sending healthy ALIVE chicks?

All hatcheries send live chicks.
It's the shipping that can be hard on them, if it's too early in the year, they can get too cold and they can die in transit or die soon after arrival. which is why many hatcheries will not ship under a certain number to insure they'll stay warm.
Also distance, if it's farther than a few states over, they could get stranded at a depot over the weekend, which is why good hatcheries ship on Monday or Tuesday at the latest.
Where are you located? People can suggest the closest and best.
Stay far away from sandhill and meyers.

Cacklehatchery.com is in Missouri
MurrayMcMurray's is in Iowa
Mt healthy is in Ohio
Hoovers is in Iowa

All hatcheries send live chicks.
It's the shipping that can be hard on them, if it's too early in the year, they can get too cold and they can die in transit or die soon after arrival. which is why many hatcheries will not ship under a certain number to insure they'll stay warm.
Also distance, if it's farther than a few states over, they could get stranded at a depot over the weekend, which is why good hatcheries ship on Monday or Tuesday at the latest.
Where are you located? People can suggest the closest and best.
Stay far away from sandhill and meyers.

Cacklehatchery.com is in Missouri
MurrayMcMurray's is in Iowa
Mt healthy is in Ohio
Hoovers is in Iowa
Florida

One of my friends orders her chicks from there and has for a couple years with great success with them BUT we are also in Ohio so not far for them to travel. All of the people I have heard ordering from them have had good things to say. I plan to order from them soonish too! Those lavenders are to die for!

When we bought (12) our first flock this year as chicks from a local farm store, they said Mount Healthy is where their chicks come from. In my opinion, my chooks are beautiful. As chicks, there was never any issues or losses. They’re close to 30 weeks old now & all have been laying since the end of summer. The only thing with my 2 black chickens, is that i was supposed to receive australorps & I think they’re Asian blacks. 🤷🏻‍♀️ But I would definitely order more straight from mount healthy if I was buying more.

I ordered 5 Barred Rock pullets and 5 Ameraucana pullets from Mt. Healthy Hatcheries in June of 2020. I received all alive and healthy plus a bonus chick that turned out to be a rooster. They shipped on July 1st and our local post office called us on July 1st! They shipped in time to avoid issues with the 4th of July weekend!
Only 2 of my "Ameraucana" hens have beards. I think the other 3 must just be Easter Eggers but I'm still happy with them. Zero pasty butt or other health issues with the chicks. Some started laying December 11th. We've had 57 eggs so far! Which is think is pretty neat since it is Winter and we are NOT adding any supplemental light.
I will definately order from them again.

Ideal poultry is in Texas and Privett Hatchery is in New Mexico, so they might have an easier flight than from some of the northern hatcheries. I've heard good things about Ideal but haven't used them. I've had good experiences with Privett but haven't used them in 2 yrs just because I liked the breeds from Hoover's. These days you might also want to look into the route the birds will take from the hatchery--Hoover's first stop is Minneapolis DC, don't know about the other Iowa hatchery because it's a ways south of Hoover's. Weather and other events in the city that the distribution center is near, would factor in my decision for sure.

Back
Top Bottom