Is my 7 week old easter egger a hen or rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mwojtas, Nov 10, 2012.

1. mwojtas

mwojtas New Egg

Nov 10, 2012
    Is my 7 week old easter egger a hen or rooster? There is not much comb development and no spurs... . This chicken is more aggressive than the others, however, that is not clear indication of sex. Please help me figure this out, there is so much diversity among this breed....

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Cute birds. I had an EE cockerel that crowed at 8 weeks. It would be more helpful if you could get a a clear daylight photo (or brighter lit) of the shoulders of the bird. If there are red patches, it's most likely a boy.

The pattern looks girl-ish to me, but my coffee hasn't taken effect yet. Maybe someone else here will be able to tell, but the pic isn't bright enough for me to tell.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  3. CHICKEN CRAZY1

CHICKEN CRAZY1 Chillin' With My Peeps

It looks like a Cock because of the beard feathers on the chin and Easter eggers have beards.Males have bigger ones than females.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    The chicken in question looks hennish to me as well. Beard size has absolutely nothing to do with the gender of the chicken as previously posted. A picture of the comb and a picture of the side of the chicken with better lighting could help us be more definite in our answers.

5. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    x2. Here are two pics of my pullet that is colored similar to yours at 8.5 weeks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Sally8

Sally8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Hornby,NY

I'm going to guess a roo, reason being, as I watched mine grow up, the males tails jutted up at a sharp angle early on. More so than the girls. I was afraid to post this as it sounds silly, but I've read sillier. Lol. I have a hen with this coloring that I was sure was going to crow right up until she laid her first egg. I'll be watching to see. Keep us posted.
    I was also going to say that when I enlarged the photo it became blurry and I was unable to see if there were 3 rows in the comb or not.

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    The lighting in your photos isn't good but from what I can see, she looks almost exactly like Gertrude:
    [​IMG]
    This color pattern is 100% female. Gertie has a HUGE beard, fights like a boy, and has a weird comb that went pink at 10 weeks but she lays some pretty blue-green eggs so there is no mistaking her gender.

8. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    ** confused with all these pictures... :p. Need better pics of the original poster

9. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    The bird in your photo is 100% EE pullet.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Looks like a pullet. A nice profile shot would help, with better lighting, but I'm pretty sure it's female.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by