Is my 7 week old easter egger a hen or rooster?

mwojtas

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 10, 2012
Is my 7 week old easter egger a hen or rooster? There is not much comb development and no spurs... . This chicken is more aggressive than the others, however, that is not clear indication of sex. Please help me figure this out, there is so much diversity among this breed....

Cute birds. I had an EE cockerel that crowed at 8 weeks. It would be more helpful if you could get a a clear daylight photo (or brighter lit) of the shoulders of the bird. If there are red patches, it's most likely a boy.

The pattern looks girl-ish to me, but my coffee hasn't taken effect yet. Maybe someone else here will be able to tell, but the pic isn't bright enough for me to tell.

Last edited:
The chicken in question looks hennish to me as well. Beard size has absolutely nothing to do with the gender of the chicken as previously posted. A picture of the comb and a picture of the side of the chicken with better lighting could help us be more definite in our answers.

Last edited:
The chicken in question looks hennish to me as well. Beard size has absolutely nothing to do with the gender of the chicken as previously posted. A picture of the comb and a picture of the side of the chicken with better lighting could help us be more definite in our answers.

x2. Here are two pics of my pullet that is colored similar to yours at 8.5 weeks

Last edited:
The chicken in question looks hennish to me as well.  Beard size has absolutely nothing to do with the gender of the chicken as previously posted.   A picture of the comb and a picture of the side of the chicken with better lighting could help us be more definite in our answers.

I'm going to guess a roo, reason being, as I watched mine grow up, the males tails jutted up at a sharp angle early on. More so than the girls. I was afraid to post this as it sounds silly, but I've read sillier. Lol. I have a hen with this coloring that I was sure was going to crow right up until she laid her first egg. I'll be watching to see. Keep us posted.
I was also going to say that when I enlarged the photo it became blurry and I was unable to see if there were 3 rows in the comb or not.

Last edited:
The lighting in your photos isn't good but from what I can see, she looks almost exactly like Gertrude:

This color pattern is 100% female. Gertie has a HUGE beard, fights like a boy, and has a weird comb that went pink at 10 weeks but she lays some pretty blue-green eggs so there is no mistaking her gender.

Back
Top Bottom