Is my baby goat too thin?

I personally wouldn't add any replacement at this point. I always sold kids off the dam and they were weaned that way. Adding a replacement that the kid isn't used to can cause more problems than it solves. Offer grass and hay, and grains in very limited amounts. Grain can kill if they aren't used to it.

Milk replacement.
How much is "a little"?
I dunno. This isn't an exact science here. Just put some in until it looks right. You don't want the grain to be mostly milk. You want it to feel like grain. Does this help? On occasion I have added replacer to the grain of any goat I thought need a boost. Just put some in. Didn't really measure. I would give a cup or so to a mature dairy goat. Sorry I can't be of more help. Actually, in this case your kid probably doesn't need it but if you have it, it is a good supplement. In my opinion it is the best way to feed replacer. In the future, if you get a bottle baby you are a lot better off to feed cow milk from the store than any replacer ever made.

Thanks for the help @Cassi and @oldhenlikesdogs
Years ago when I bottle raised a few kids for a friend, I always bought frozen goat milk from a dairy, but I don't have those contacts anymore. This was my first time trying milk replacement.
I bought some hoping to get him to settle down some with a bottle. He was shrieking for 2 days; poor little love is hoarse now. I was worried that he wasn't eating enough because of the stress. Just looking for a little "nutritional insurance" if you will.
He's thankfully doing better today though, and I agree, less is more

Thanks for the help @Cassi and @oldhenlikesdogs
Years ago when I bottle raised a few kids for a friend, I always bought frozen goat milk from a dairy, but I don't have those contacts anymore. This was my first time trying milk replacement.
I bought some hoping to get him to settle down some with a bottle. He was shrieking for 2 days; poor little love is hoarse now. I was worried that he wasn't eating enough because of the stress. Just looking for a little "nutritional insurance" if you will.
He's thankfully doing better today though, and I agree, less is more
It isn't only babies that will scream themselves hoarse. My first Nubian bawled for three days until, as my husband said, her blatter didn't work any more. She came from a place where there were a lot of children who played with her constantly. I didn't have the time to stay out in the barn with her and hold her hoof. There were other goats, but that didn't matter. She screamed all day and all night until she couldn't. By the time she got her voice back she had settled down and was quiet, or at least quieter.

Back
Top Bottom