Is my cage setup ok?

Harry637

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2021
I raise 2 quail as pets and they also give eggs every day. They’re both female. I raise them as if they’re a hanster but I sometimes take them out of their cage. Is my cage setup ok? I think it’s a bit small but others tell me they’re spoiled rotten by me
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

By the way I’m trying to train them to poop in one place since their cage is relatively small and I put the poop tray in the middle of the cage. They don’t seem to be getting the hang of it but I know that they could hold it in, since right before they pooped, I kept pushing them around the cage and they didn’t poop until I took my hand away

That setup is awfully small for them. Do they use the ramps? I know that a lot of quail won't, but some will.

Don't expect to be successful with potty training. They're birds. They don't have the den dweller's instinct to keep their den clean, since they normally don't have dens.

Are you feeding them a good layer feed or game bird crumble? If you're giving them game bird crumble, they should have calcium on the side.

That setup is awfully small for them. Do they use the ramps? I know that a lot of quail won't, but some will.

Don't expect to be successful with potty training. They're birds. They don't have the den dweller's instinct to keep their den clean, since they normally don't have dens.

Are you feeding them a good layer feed or game bird crumble? If you're giving them game bird crumble, they should have calcium on the side.
yeah I don’t think they’ll learn but it never hurts to try. They are getting a 25% protein game bird feed with crumbled oyster shell. They love the ramps actually. They like ahnging out and climbing up and down. They seem to be liking life quite well, and I also give them occasional fresh fruits and veggies. There’s about 10 sq ft, which is roughly 5 sq ft per bird.

How many sqrt do you recommend per bird?

Back
Top Bottom