Is my chick a rooster?

MamaHauk

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2016
We have three chicks. All about 6 weeks old. This one has a huge comb compared to the others. It is a RIR. I'm worried it's a rooster. :/

I couldn't figure out how to post a pic before. :D

I am having the same problem with my RIR's that are suppose to be pullets. I have found a whole bunch of nothing online, and seen pictures of young RIR's that look the same (with big red d combs) that turn out to be a hen....I would guess Roo for you. I'm in denial on mine....:(mine are 9 weeks old now. We had a cream legbar Roo that at 5 weeks was no doubt a Roo. I wish I could be of more help. I love roosters but had a very mean one and do not want to go through that again!

I couldn't figure out how to post a pic before. :D

I am having the same problem with my RIR's that are suppose to be pullets. I have found a whole bunch of nothing online, and seen pictures of young RIR's that look the same (with big red d combs) that turn out to be a hen....I would guess Roo for you. I'm in denial on mine....:(mine are 9 weeks old now. We had a cream legbar Roo that at 5 weeks was no doubt a Roo. I wish I could be of more help. I love roosters but had a very mean one and do not want to go through that again!
Need to see full body pics of both :)
Leaning towards cockerels for both of you...

Up right tail feathers, longer looking neck and feathers coming of the back over wings reinforces my theory he is a rooster. He all so looks like he has spur bubs( or buttons) on his legs. But I'm no expert.

Two different RIR's. They were very hard to photograph today! I can try again later when I have a helper.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom