Is My Chick Dying??

Ariel188

Songster
11 Years
May 31, 2012
Southern CA
I have 36 chicks and this one is a Swedish Flower Hen 5 to 6 days old. I found it screaming in the brooder when everyone else was sleeping. So I picked it up and I think it had pasty butt and I cleaned it off. I put it back in the brooder and it was wet and stumbling around. Since it did not appear to settle down I picked it back up. It felt cold so I blow dried it. It still doesn't seem to be able to walk and it is chirping constantly. Could this be pasty butt impacted too far inside for me to clean? or a disease? Thank you!

Last edited:
It definitely seems unsteady. That would have me worried, hopefully someone has the right answer.

Last edited:
Now ANOTHER one of my chicks seems to be sick. A french black copper maran is coughing/sneezing. Also when I hold it close to my hear it sounds like I can hear water in its lungs, can that be right?

Last edited:
The only thing I did different today was that my friend delivered a brooder he built for me. It measures 8 ft by 2.5 feet. I added new pine shavings (but they are the SAME brand I have been using but a brand new bag.) Chicks seem to be itchy and cleaning/grooming thier feather when I looked at them just now. Maybe I am just getting crazy now. This is only my second round of chicks. Last year I raised 8 chicks 5 days to 3 week old when I got them all from the same breeder. This year I got 36 chicks from 6 different breeders. The sick one came from the last breeder I went to on Thur the 18th, but I also got some other chicks from her April 13 and they seem fine.

Chick 1 looks generally weak and uncomfortable. Get some vitamins in her(Poultry Nutri Drench or Sav A Chick). Sometimes they just come in like this and go downhill, but vitamins are the best hope for her now.

Chick 1 looks generally weak and uncomfortable. Get some vitamins in her(Poultry Nutri Drench or Sav A Chick). Sometimes they just come in like this and go downhill, but vitamins are the best hope for her now.

Are those the brands that I ask a feed store for? I cannot get them till tomorrow unless Wal Mart has them? I am not feeding medicated food. I am feeding organic Scratch and Peck chick starter. Last year I feed my own homemade organic mix and I had no problems. It was only 8 chicks not 36 and from one breeder not 6. Should I have not gone to so many different breeders? No chicks have been vaccinated, I looked for unvaccinated breeders.

Last edited:
Wal Mart does have bird vitamins which should help until tomorrow when you can get the right stuff at TSC or similar. Go to the pet bird section, they have a cheap brand that comes as liquid drops in a little bottle that is meant to be put into the water. I have not personally used them for chickens(but have used them for other baby birds with good results), but honestly with the way she looks, it can not hurt.

Also, med. food will not help this problem, only help prevent Coccidiosis, and drop the scratch. They need to eat 100% starter at this age.

Also, med. food will not help this problem, only help prevent Coccidiosis, and drop the scratch. They need to eat 100% starter at this age.

Thank you for help with vitamins. No I dont feed scratch, The BRAND is called Scratch and Peak organic feed. :) The drops wont hurt the other birds either?

Back
Top Bottom