Is my chicken dying?

I just read today the not walking and I think the head thing too can be dehydration. I syringed 1 ml of water into her mouth five times a few minutes ago. Does anyone know how much fluids she should be getting per day?

She has some fight in her -- when I did the syringe she was moving her head and trying to get away. Same way she did with the crop medications.
I believe it is 150 ml. a day for an adult chicken

It's hard to know if I'm doing the right thing or just making things worse. She fights it when I syringe water and she tries to get away. Mostly I've just been letting her sleep. That's all she wants to do. :/
I feel you. I recently had one of my girls feeling sick and thought that she might have egg peritonitis :hmm. I had her inside since Sunday, giving her epsom salt baths and worried she‘d get worse overnight. She fought me, too, when I gave her NutriDrench, olive oil (for potential blockage issues), and her antibiotics, but I had to do it.

Fortunately, she seemed much better today so I took her outside to see her sisters and she got into three fights and won two of them, then proceeded to sun bathe, so I think she’s on the mend :fl. I hope your girl feels better soon. Maybe try giving her some NutriDrench, too, if you have it.

I gave her some homemade electrolyte mix in a syringe. Not much though. She really fights it. The vet told me on the phone to keep giving the crop medicine cause that's all we can do but I went to do it and she's sleeping and keeping her eyes closed and I don't want to stress her out with that. I'm just letting her stay in my room and sleep.

It's so depressing. I wish animals spoke English and could tell me what they feel and need.. I keep crying thinking about all these memories with her.. She's my last hen and we're very close ..

No matter what I'm going to feel guilty because my mind always does that. It sucks. 😭

Aaaaawww... I feel for you. She might be letting go. 11 is pretty old for a chicken, and I bet she had a wonderful life!
My RSL is 10, and I don't even want to think of that yet, but I need to. I lost her buddy about three months ago, but Red is as ornery as every with a RSL new friend. I picked up an almost full grown RSL because she was so lonely all by herself.

My Barred Rock, Diva, slowly stopped eating and drinking, her energy plummeted and then she lost a lot of weight very quickly, but she kept holding on. She tried to follow Red around the yard and do chicken things, but then she would just stand there looking out into space. She eventually developed pneumonia and died very painfully. I wished I knew the signs of a chicken withdrawing from life because I would have put her down.

Have you thought about euthanasia? It might be the kindest thing to do.

Now, I have 5 new chicks, all Olive Eggers, (Cuckoo Maran over an Easter Egger) and they've helped me to move on and remember the good times with my first flock of hens. They're ready to go outside, too. It'll take a number of weeks before I can integrate them with Red and Roxanne! I've even talked myself into building a new coop and run.
I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. It's never easy to lose a beloved pet. :barnie
I have thought about euthanasia and have been indecisive about it. Finally called the bird vet and they didn't respond and they're closed on the weekend so I'd have to find someone else. It's a moral dilemma on what to do. She seems peaceful except for the way her head rises upward. I don't know what's causing that or if it's painful

I have thought about euthanasia and have been indecisive about it. Finally called the bird vet and they didn't respond and they're closed on the weekend so I'd have to find someone else. It's a moral dilemma on what to do. She seems peaceful except for the way her head rises upward. I don't know what's causing that or if it's painful
Do you think she is in pain? If she is not, and she really is dying, I would make her comfortable and let her pass peacefully.

It's hard to know if I'm doing the right thing or just making things worse. She fights it when I syringe water and she tries to get away. Mostly I've just been letting her sleep. That's all she wants to do. :/
I read that the older they are and the closer they get to the end - they sleep a lot as well as eat and drink less. I would just let her be. Also be careful that she doesn't aspirate with the syringed water. You want to put a little in her tongue at a time.

I read that the older they are and the closer they get to the end - they sleep a lot as well as eat and drink less. I would just let her be. Also be careful that she doesn't aspirate with the syringed water. You want to put a little in her tongue at a time.
That makes sense. Just like humans I guess.

She is still alive and I'm amazed she is, after not eating and not drinking for almost 3 days (except the small amount of water I put up to her or syringed). She's still somewhat alert too despite the head thing. When I come over she sometimes makes her usual sounds and stands up on her hocks to see me.

Otherwise she is extra quiet. I'm still debating whether to do euthanasia 😢 I think she's going to look strong to the end as she has always been at top of the pecking order. Could be hiding pain. That's my fear

I know what you mean. Sometimes I feel like I'm torturing them to death. But every sick chicken teaches me something that can help the next hen or flock. I too have cried over chickens. It's always hard, but sometimes successful. the older they are the more I am attached, which makes it worse..

I know what you mean. Sometimes I feel like I'm torturing them to death. But every sick chicken teaches me something that can help the next hen or flock. I too have cried over chickens. It's always hard, but sometimes successful. the older they are the more I am attached, which makes
Yes I just feel like it's not doing anything. She still perks up when she hears certain food sounds but she still doesn't want to eat the foods. After a week+ I doubt her appetite is coming back. She looks peaceful though like hopefully no pain. I have been crying every day lol

Back
Top Bottom