Is my chicken ill?!

OliviaSmith123

In the Brooder
Jan 3, 2021
Hello, I am a new chicken owner and this chicken is 35 weeks old, she is laying( or was I’m not sure whether she still is) however her attitude has changed dramatically, such as when I try and pick her up she will run away and will panic when I hold her, when I do hold her about 10 feathers fall out, and she just screeches, she NEVER used to be like this, she used to let me hold her all the time, she would jump into my lap and everything. She seems like she is very low down when she walks, she has a very pale comb, and has a bold patch by her neck.
She is a Plymouth Barred rock she seems the same weight as everyone else, all the others are fine so I’m not worried that she has spread anything.
Should I isolate her for now and keep her warm and inside or not, please help!! t
Thank you!

She could be molting, molting is very uncomfortable, she doesn't want to be touched now.
Feed you high protein feed and scrambled eggs to get her through this quickly.
Molting hens rarely lay.

She might be getting picked on, and that is why she is afraid. Do you have a rooster or cockerel that might have injured her? Can you post any pictures of her standing or walking? Videos uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo with a link here can be helpful. If you have some chick bitamins with riboflavin, or can get human vitamin B complex (not b12, but b complex) you can crush 1/2 tablet daily and add to a spoonful of water or food.

Thank you for your reply! We have 2 cockerels and getting rid of 1 anytime soon, she is one of the boss lady’s so I don’t think that she would be picked on, I will try and get a photo and post it soon!

651D0E79-E131-4705-B514-1218C790ECFF.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom