Is my chicken molting?

christyyy

Chirping
Dec 2, 2017
California
Hi, a while back I was asking about why my chicken hadn’t molt yet, she just did today. Near her neck stretching to her chest, she doesn’t have feathers, and I’m assuming it’s a molt? Right under her beak, where her neck is, it’s super wet? And I’m not sure why?

Attachments

• 5843C789-33AE-4AD2-AB60-B84D0C24647C.jpeg
    5843C789-33AE-4AD2-AB60-B84D0C24647C.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 13
The wet feathers may just be from water, but I would check her crop to make sure it has emptied in the morning before she has anything to drink or eat.

In your other thread you mention that she is 11months old. Likely she will not molt until late summer/fall when she is older.

Is there a concern about why she is not molting?

The wet feathers may just be from water, but I would check her crop to make sure it has emptied in the morning before she has anything to drink or eat.

In your other thread you mention that she is 11months old. Likely she will not molt until late summer/fall when she is older.

She’s now 1 years old, she just started molting but it’s currently the middle of spring? But thank you, yes I’ll check her crop.

But, I’m mainly wondering if maybe the spot she’s missing on her chest/neck is a molt? Because it’s a complete straight line without feathers

She is still a bit young to molt, most dont molt until 18 - 22 months old, and then each year. They can molt early, I had a dog come in and chase a girl about 12 months old and it made her molt.
Best way I can describe the look of a molting hen is she looks like an exploded dust mop.
I myself do not think she is molting. Keep an eye on her.

But, I’m mainly wondering if maybe the spot she’s missing on her chest/neck is a molt? Because it’s a complete straight line without feathers
Can you post a clearer picture of the missing feathers/bare spot.
Likely she is missing feathers due to picking/plucking.

The wet feathers has nothing to do with molting. Check her crop to see if it's empty in the morning before she has ate/drank. Could be she just drank quite a bit of water and it ran down her neck/chest another cause would be the crop is not emptying properly.

Can you post a clearer picture of the missing feathers/bare spot.
Likely she is missing feathers due to picking/plucking.

The wet feathers has nothing to do with molting. Check her crop to see if it's empty in the morning before she has ate/drank. Could be she just drank quite a bit of water and it ran down her neck/chest another cause would be the crop is not emptying properly.
I checked on her and I don’t see the line without feathers anymore?

Back
Top Bottom