Is my chicken sick or am I over-reacting?

mads+summer829

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2018
Bryn Mawr, PA
Hello!

Over the last two days, I have noticed that our Blue-Splash Maran, Parmesan, has not been herself. She has become lethargic, she falls asleep standing up in the middle of the yard. She also does not run up to receive snacks, she just watches. I have not seen her drink a lot but she does eat a little, but not her usual. Now, it has been very hot over the last couple of days but the other three seem to be doing fine/are normal. The coop is clean and they have plenty of room inside. They free-roam during the day. They are about 17 weeks-old and have not started laying yet. Her comb is not pale, it is still red and no mites, I checked. Also, she always seems to move her head back and forth, she seems to just keep moving it. I am a first time chicken owner, so do I just have "first time parent" syndrome, or is there something seriously wrong?

Thank you!

Last edited:
If you think something is off, it very likely is. The first thing that comes to mind based on the age and your description is coccidiosis. It's a protozoan type parasite that they pick up from the soil, and it's everywhere. It's more common in chicks and young birds that have not built immunity. Common symptoms are lethargy, sitting fluffed up, going off food and water, runny or mucousy or bloody droppings. Treatment is very safe, so I would go ahead and treat them all. Treatment is Corid (amprolium) available at most feed stores, tractor supply, etc. Usually found in the cattle/livestock section. It comes in powder or liquid, either is fine to use. Dosage chart attached below, use the severe outbreak dosage, the medicated water needs to be the only water they have access to during treatment, so if water is available where they range, you may have to confine them during treatment. If any bird is too sick to be drinking well on it's own you can give them some of the corid directly to get it in them quicker, that's in addition to the medicated water, dosages for that are here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
900x900px-LL-a380cae7_Untitled.jpeg

Hi, I am following this thread as I look for answers for my own lethargic hens. I hope your girl is ok and from all the searching I have done over the past few days it does sound like Corid is a good place to start.

If you think something is off, it very likely is. The first thing that comes to mind based on the age and your description is coccidiosis. It's a protozoan type parasite that they pick up from the soil, and it's everywhere. It's more common in chicks and young birds that have not built immunity. Common symptoms are lethargy, sitting fluffed up, going off food and water, runny or mucousy or bloody droppings. Treatment is very safe, so I would go ahead and treat them all. Treatment is Corid (amprolium) available at most feed stores, tractor supply, etc. Usually found in the cattle/livestock section. It comes in powder or liquid, either is fine to use. Dosage chart attached below, use the severe outbreak dosage, the medicated water needs to be the only water they have access to during treatment, so if water is available where they range, you may have to confine them during treatment. If any bird is too sick to be drinking well on it's own you can give them some of the corid directly to get it in them quicker, that's in addition to the medicated water, dosages for that are here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
View attachment 1452805

thank you very much! We will keep an eye on her and will order this

If you can find it locally, it's best to start treatment as soon as possible, quickly. There are different strains of coccidia, some are more virulent than others. In some cases, waiting can cause too much damage to the digestive tract and the bird may not recover. Young chicks can deteriorate very quickly and die in a matter of hours. I've no way to predict how long your bird can go without treatment, I would not wait any longer than absolutely necessary.

UPDATE: Parm has gone downhill. We moved her inside and by herself and gave her food and water, but she will not eat. Her poop is greenish but I am just happy she is pooping. She can't really stand, she leans to one side and falls over sometimes. She also shakes, and it is not cold. She keeps her eyes closed a lot, but she does open them and seems to watch us. I have yes clue what she has, I have been researching like crazy and cannot find anything. If anyone has any thoughts, PLEASE let me know! Hopefully Parm can recover, but it looks pretty grim.

Thank you!

Two of my 3 came down with something similar although not that extreme. Hen and roo would stand still and doze off standing up, but could be roused for a little while then they'd do it again. It was like they were worn out exhausted. I immediately started dosing Nutridrench and they made a complete recovery in less than 24 hours. I was freaked out it might be cocci but none of the droppings were bloody, only green. The green means they aren't eating. My best guess was heat stroke or heat exhaustion. I've been giving them frozen fruit, electrolytes, extra ice, frozen soda bottles in the run, and everything I can think of to help them keep them cool in this heat. So far so good here.

Have you treated with Corid and she has gotten worse? I agree the green is probably from not eating, nutridrench is good and can help give them a boost. There are many illnesses in chickens that may produce neurological symptoms (like shaking and muscle weakness and loss of balance) as they progress, even sometimes as simple as vitamin deficiencies. Based on your original symptoms I strongly suspected coccidia. That will eventually destroy the digestive tract if not treated, and illness would continue to progress until death. If she's very ill, her body temperature may actually be low, and if she isn't eating she will not be taking in enough calories to warm herself. Chickens body temperature is normally about 105 to 107 degrees. You can take her temperature with a regular rectal thermometer, lubricated and inserted in the cloaca about 1 inch. Make sure you have a good hold or have help to hold her, you don't want to break the thermometer.
If you find her temperature is low, she needs to be in a warmer place until she's feeling better. Here is more info on taking her temp: https://www.mypetchicken.com/backya...is-regular-chicken-body-temperature-H318.aspx

My girl is acting similar. I am curious how things are going! Praying for your girl, too! I will try the Nutri-Drench also.

Back
Top Bottom