Is My Chicken sick

Tinadudley5000

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2018
Hi I have two cute adorable bantam chickens. They were my first. I now have 12 chickens and 5 ducks. My little girl seems to have a wheeze I noticed the other day her chest was really puffed so I googled and it said she may have impacted crop. It was really full so I tried to give oil eggs and water and started the massaging daily. When I massage her breathing change. She open her beak open and seemed like she was wheezing , coughing and sneezing. Her crop is better. I also took the feed away added more grit and water at night in the coop. So the crop has reduced but the little sneezing coughs and wheeze remains. She is eating, dirt bathing and running around just fine. No mucus ,no bad breath. I have also added apple cider vinegar. I made a vet apt but worried that he wont be able to find out what wrong. Do I need to be worried?

Hi ,

Okay let me know how her crop feels like hard , lumpy , or full of water ?

Weezing sneezing sounds to me a Respiratory Infection
Last week I got on google and looked up impacted crop. I went and found here very full but it was evening so I re checked the next morning. She was still very squisky. So I got the water and olive oil out and gave oil eggs and massaged her crop and this improved she crop heaps. She even is breathing better when I massage . But she is still wheezing. Her crop was nice and empty this morning. She is eatting well, drinking dirt bathing running around and bossing her rooaster around but still coughing and sneezing. She is booked in with the vet tomorrow. I cant take the chance that she is sick. She is too precious to me.

You say you have a drake, make sure he stays well away from the chicken hens, there is a thread on here where people who have both chickens and ducks to keep the drake separate from the chickens.
They tend to mate with the chicken hens and the result is death for the hen.

Last week I got on google and looked up impacted crop. I went and found here very full but it was evening so I re checked the next morning. She was still very squisky. So I got the water and olive oil out and gave oil eggs and massaged her crop and this improved she crop heaps. She even is breathing better when I massage . But she is still wheezing. Her crop was nice and empty this morning. She is eatting well, drinking dirt bathing running around and bossing her rooaster around but still coughing and sneezing. She is booked in with the vet tomorrow. I cant take the chance that she is sick. She is too precious to me.

Awww I understand u do great to book.vet but Give oilve oil in squishy crop might cuasw more problem u should give her some Fennel seeds tea it's really helpful for moving things

Awww I understand u do great to book.vet but Give oilve oil in squishy crop might cuasw more problem u should give her some Fennel seeds tea it's really helpful for moving things
Well My chicken is sick. And is dying but we are trying a course of antibiotics. the scariest bit is if my other birds get sick the vet said to cull them all.

I’m curious to know what the vet said was the problem?
He said it was lung disease, Which one who couldn't tell. He would need to do some really expensive test to find out which one. He said it was most likely bacterial and that she has been symptomatic for a long while. She is my first chicken and I had no idea she was sick I though maybe she had hay fever, I started to do research and everyone said if she didn't have mucus she wasn't sick. Last week she looked like she was feeling off. So I decided to take to the vet to set my mind at ease. He said she had really bad lung sounds and her breathing was really labored. I had no idea. So we are trying antibiotics for 10 days and see what happens. If she gets better. Then great we continue with treatment. If anyone else get sick we need to make decisions. So she is in quarantine with her boyfriend as they have been together all the time. They both go to the vet for recheck and to be sure he isnt sick. If he is then we can treat him too. Time will tell. I am broken hearten and praying for a miracle I love my little bantam babies.

Back
Top Bottom