Is my chicken sick?

A few of my girls contracted coccidiosis when they were younger and I successfully treated them all as a group, but I haven't done anything recently.

She seems to be eating well and doesn't have any issues pushing past the other hens to get her turn.

I haven't offered any oyster shells because I read that you shouldn't give them too much calcium before they start laying as it has nowhere to go. Is it possible she's not getting enough grit? I haven't offered it since I moved them outside.

Thanks for all the great info! I will check her crop today and see what I can find out.

Do you think it's possible there's something wrong with her vision?
I'd offer the oyster shell free choice now.

Grit and Oyster shell are 2 different things. Grit is crushed granite and it's insoluble so is used in the gizzard to grind up food.
Oyster shell is used as a calcium supplement, it is "soluble" so when it's processed in the gizzard, some calcium is absorbed.

As for can she see or if something is wrong with her vision, you'll have to observe her and take note if anything is off.

LOL Well, her sister knew what was good. Coconut oil will make for a loose stool, helps get things moving. It won't hurt her sister to have it, it's just a bit of oil, no worries.

We lost Pillow during the night last night. 😞

We had her separated and fed her electrolytes, oyster shells and coconut oil. She was barely drinking so I soaked a handful of feed with the electrolytes water and she ate that. She basically sat in the same spot without moving around at all for about 4 days and this morning I found her flopped over on her side. This is our first loss. Hoping to learn from it and prevent more in the future. I know we must have caught it way too late.

I'm thinking about putting the electrolytes in the shared water for the rest of the chickens as a preventative measure in case it was something that could spread. So far they're all acting normal but I do have one that has some poopy vent feathers like Pillow did. Any advice on that side of things?

We lost Pillow during the night last night. 😞

We had her separated and fed her electrolytes, oyster shells and coconut oil. She was barely drinking so I soaked a handful of feed with the electrolytes water and she ate that. She basically sat in the same spot without moving around at all for about 4 days and this morning I found her flopped over on her side. This is our first loss. Hoping to learn from it and prevent more in the future. I know we must have caught it way too late.

I'm thinking about putting the electrolytes in the shared water for the rest of the chickens as a preventative measure in case it was something that could spread. So far they're all acting normal but I do have one that has some poopy vent feathers like Pillow did. Any advice on that side of things?
I'm sorry for your loss.
Without necropsy it would be hard to know what caused her decline. If you still have the body, consider sending it to your state lab.

Electrolytes in one water station for a couple of times a week may be helpful during times of stress and hot weather, but do provide plain fresh water too. Electrolytes are like Gatorade, while hydrating and providing a little extra salt and/or vitamins, they should be used sparingly and do not provide a remedy to contagious illnesses.

Back
Top Bottom