Is my chicken waterer going to catch fire?

Everything is bigger in Texas?
hmm.png

As I referenced, even a 60 watt bulb does not generate enough heat to cause a fire (this is a fact, not an opinion), much less an electrocution, read the above quote!
No, this is not fact.

A 60watt bulb in an open space properly vented does not get hot enough to cause a fire. A 60 watt bulb inside the sort of "fixtures" that these people are building most certainly does get hot enough to cause a fire. A 60 watt bulb inside a cinder block or wooden box with a pail of water above it most certainly IS a firehazard. It's also, is most clearly an electrocution hazard, as most people aren't putting GFCIs on these things.

As to your costs, are you including both the generation and delivery costs? The average electricity cost in the US is about 12 cents, but in NJ it's 17. If you're getting $.12/kwh in NJ, you've got the cheapest electricity in 200+ miles.

No, this is not fact.

A 60watt bulb in an open space properly vented does not get hot enough to cause a fire. A 60 watt bulb inside the sort of "fixtures" that these people are building most certainly does get hot enough to cause a fire. A 60 watt bulb inside a cinder block or wooden box with a pail of water above it most certainly IS a firehazard. It's also, is most clearly an electrocution hazard, as most people aren't putting GFCIs on these things.

As to your costs, are you including both the generation and delivery costs? The average electricity cost in the US is about 12 cents, but in NJ it's 17. If you're getting $.12/kwh in NJ, you've got the cheapest electricity in 200+ miles.

I always base my facts on documented evidence, easily found with todays internet, and the copious sharing of information. If I give an opinion, I will offer it as such.

BYC has been around for many years. An undisputed wealth of shared information. This site has members numbering in the 6 digits, huge. Literally millions of posts!

I am elated to be a member, sharing my experiences, and gaining wisdom from others.

thumbsup.gif

I did my due diligence prior to constructing my modified version of the cookie tin, in its fourth season now. Countless others have used this basic design.

I found 0 posts regarding a properly constructed tin getting hot enough to cause a fire or electrocution.

ZERO!

I am not commenting on any self made device that was poorly wired and not safely installed.

I cannot say the same about using heated water bowls...nor aquarium heaters...nor stock tank heaters...and all of these were purchased prebuilt...

There is much information shared about using these products in ways they were not originally designed for, and in my opinion, not recommended.

Also in my opinion, I would like to add that I don't like my birds getting their wattles wet in sub zero temperatures by drinking out of an open bowl of water, much less should they accidentally step in it
sad.png

Ron, the problem is that we're talking about different things. You're talking about the best case - somebody who knows what they're doing and doesn't cut corners.

Most of the people on here aren't electricians, and don't understand the risks of what they're doing. They aren't building things right, they aren't putting in fuses, they aren't using GFCIs, they aren't using fireproof materials. The tolerances are just too small here - it's too easy to start a fire if things aren't done right - and for the majority of cases here, they aren't.

I'm all for people learning new things - but learning about electricity by wiring a lightbulb into an enclosed space, in an environment rife with flammable detritus, underneath a bucket of water just isn't a good project to learn on - and by telling everyone that it's easy and safe, you put people in danger.

Ron, the problem is that we're talking about different things. You're talking about the best case - somebody who knows what they're doing and doesn't cut corners.

Most of the people on here aren't electricians, and don't understand the risks of what they're doing. They aren't building things right, they aren't putting in fuses, they aren't using GFCIs, they aren't using fireproof materials. The tolerances are just too small here - it's too easy to start a fire if things aren't done right - and for the majority of cases here, they aren't.

I'm all for people learning new things - but learning about electricity by wiring a lightbulb into an enclosed space, in an environment rife with flammable detritus, underneath a bucket of water just isn't a good project to learn on - and by telling everyone that it's easy and safe, you put people in danger.

The instructions that readily available are quite clear.

Many tho have expressed a fear in assembly, and we all should realize our individual comfort levels and abilities.

That said, there are no posts stating catastrophic failures or warnings from using any homemade cookie tin that I can source...

I know many use them, with great success, as do I.

Built as described, using a 25 to 60 watt bulb heat source, they have been quite safe, and do not pose any immediate fire risk.

Again, I am not commenting on any self made device that was poorly wired and not safely installed.

I thought that went without mention.

Perhaps one day I will post my modified version (my tin is cold to the touch, except under the waterer, and fully 45% more efficient), but it's a bit more involved and probably not really necessary.

Besides, isn't it the government's responsibility to protect us from ourselves....
hu.gif
(Just joking, safety ALWAYS first!)

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/api-all45;seasons-electric-heated-pet-bowl-5-qt
That is what it is intended for.
Although wattles can get wet,they are not porous so they wont hold water and freeze.

Thanks!

Good to know, although I see a dog and not a spooked chicken in the picture
smile.png

I fear a wet chicken in sub zero temperatures would be disastrous. My opinion.

Not that the water bowl wouldn't work, it's just not for me.

I envision an accident I choose to avoid because I can.

Back
Top Bottom