Is my chocolate orpington a roo?

It may be to young to tell. She also has really thick legs compared to the others
Too young to sex accurately... but
As they grow, my males tend to have stumpy wings while their sisters have longer wing feathers. As they progress, the males may have a porcupine look along the back. Around 4-5 weeks you may see slight differences in pinkish comb & dropping wattles. The changes are subtle.

Yes, I have been tricked more than once. My blk & blue orp hens grow to about 10 lbs (occasionally 11). One gorgeous hen had very dark comb and dropping wattles at 3 weeks. I thought male until 6 weeks when no changes. Her legs are like tree trunks but by 15 weeks I was finally able to admit HE was a SHE. Because of her beauty, I kept & bred her. Now I get more ??? chicks just like her.

Jewel
blue orp.jpg

One of Jewel's pullets at 8 months
IMG_0688.JPG

Ok. So we are all kinda thinking it may be a hen... right?
If Hoover's is crossing Chocolate birds to Black birds regardless of them being an Australorp or an Orpington, because the Chocolate gene is sex-linked, all Chocolate offspring must be female.

1679346651449.png

1679346672499.png

If the cross is the other way (which makes no sense) or they are breeding Chocolate x Chocolate, then you can't sex them by down color at hatch.

If Hoover's is crossing Chocolate birds to Black birds regardless of them being an Australorp or an Orpington, because the Chocolate gene is sex-linked, all Chocolate offspring must be female.

View attachment 3438129
View attachment 3438130

If the cross is the other way (which makes no sense) or they are breeding Chocolate x Chocolate, then you can't sex them by down color at hatch.
Alright, the hoovers website states "male chocolate orpingtons bred with black australorpe" so it should be female i would assume?
And what is the picture from?

I know you already got some answers, but my chocolate has a decent sized comb and wattles. She also outweighs my Buff by several pounds ☺️

Attachments

• 20230315_130741.jpg
    20230315_130741.jpg
    855.4 KB · Views: 10
I know you already got some answers, but my chocolate has a decent sized comb and wattles. She also outweighs my Buff by several pounds ☺️
Thankyou! I really hope its a hen. She jumps amd runs at my hands when i put my hand near her. Is that a rooster behavior or is she just social?

Back
Top Bottom