Is my coop big enough for our growing chicken family?

So currently we have 7 happy chickens in this coop. We open the door every morning to let them out in a large run area every day so they’re not cooped up all day (pun intended). We have 6 chicks growing very fast and I’m wondering if I need to upgrade the coop to fit the newbies when they ready to join the big girls. I know the rule is 4 sq ft/bird but is that the case if they only really in there to sleep?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...construction-chicken-coop-70401d?cm_vc=-10005
I'm a new chicken owner as well. And, I have to say. Don't make my mistake an buy a tractor supply coop. It said ours would house 6 chickens. But it was wayyyyy too small for our 6. We ended up buying a shed and converting it. We knew we wanted to add more to our flock as well. So, building our own, we made sure it would fit a large number of chickens. Its better to save your money. And invest in a happier home for the chickens. Just my opinion.

Attachments

• IMG_20220124_200818.jpg
    IMG_20220124_200818.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 5
I'm a new chicken owner as well. And, I have to say. Don't make my mistake an buy a tractor supply coop. It said ours would house 6 chickens. But it was wayyyyy too small for our 6. We ended up buying a shed and converting it. We knew we wanted to add more to our flock as well. So, building our own, we made sure it would fit a large number of chickens. Its better to save your money. And invest in a happier home for the chickens. Just my opinion.
That’s what we ended up doing too! And I’m pretty sure it’s the same one as yours haha! Definitely so much better. We were given these chickens along with that tractor supply coop. I’m so glad I didn’t pay for it. It’s actually cheaper to get the shed then the coop from tsc. Crazy!

This is what i did with same coop

Attachments

• IMG_20200411_101211571.jpg
    IMG_20200411_101211571.jpg
    907.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200411_182553540.jpg
    IMG_20200411_182553540.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200502_193302485.jpg
    IMG_20200502_193302485.jpg
    601.2 KB · Views: 6
That’s what we ended up doing too! And I’m pretty sure it’s the same one as yours haha! Definitely so much better. We were given these chickens along with that tractor supply coop. I’m so glad I didn’t pay for it. It’s actually cheaper to get the shed then the coop from tsc. Crazy!
It is. Thankfully you didn't buy the coop. It also said predator proof. Ha! Not raccon proof. They have no problem unzipping a cloth cooler. I'm sure lifting the latch wouldn't be an issue. Its cool you did what we did. Chickens need room to be happy. And happy chickens make good egg layers. 🥚🥚🍳🍳😁

Back
Top Bottom