Is my coop too big?? Should i make adjustments..??? pics...

mine are in for a culture shock too when I move them to the new coop it is huge in comparison. They probably will all hang out in one corner too for awhile. Still trying to figure out how to put the roosts in the new one. I have to wait till hubby gets all the tools out and I can see it empty

I haven't made one yet, i am unsure on what height i should do it...
hmm.png

anybody have ideas...

There you go.

Unless pullets are actually in lay, there's no need for nests to be available to them, of course.
They'll get the hang of roosting, as time goes along.

As for "too big", there is no such thing as a chicken palace being "too big". Never.

I would think it's too small rather than too big...

Very cute though :)

My bantams would rather cram into a small space to sleep as well. Not sure why, but they don't like to sleep roosting at night.

Our girls have been in their coop for about a month now, and only the last couple nights have more than 1 of them used the roost, LOL. One roosted, 2 or 3 would cram in the nesting boxes and the rest hung out on the floor. Just last night, we had a look and 5 were on the roost and 1 in the nest box. They're funny critters and you just never know what they'll like. So, we offer them as many options as we can so they can choose. We have flat roosts at a couple different heights and a round (tree limb) as well. Our coop is too small for them to flap their way up, so we put in a little ladder so they can climb up and it appears they've now figured it out :)

Thanks for all the replys guys...and been working on the roost today and its all good
thumbsup.gif

And i love the idea with the sand, but where would you get the river sand from because all i can get is 'playsand'...???

And bantams are totally weird, but amazing
big_smile.png

In answer to your question about space: You need 4-6 sq.ft. per bird in the coop and 10 sq. ft. per bird in the run. That is for regular size chickens. You can go less for bantams, but I don't know how much smaller.
Wow that is a lot more than I read here. I was thinking it said 2-3 square feet in coop and 4-5 square feet in run per bird. I guess I you should go to the learning page here and see what it says. All I know is that I built to small at first and i have to keep adding on!

Wow that is a lot more than I read here. I was thinking it said 2-3 square feet in coop and 4-5 square feet in run per bird. I guess I you should go to the learning page here and see what it says. All I know is that I built to small at first and i have to keep adding on!
I was told by an old timer with 40+ years of raising chickens to use 4-6sq.ft. per bird in the coop and 10 sq.ft. in the run or as much room as you could possible provide. One old timer in reference to areas where they have snow or inclement weather in the winter said: Imagine you and your family had to live in your bathroom for 4-5 months during the year and could only go into another room for a few hours a day. That is how your chickens feel. Also, chickens, when cramped for space will start picking on one another and sometimes depending how small the space can even become cannibilistic. So I certainly would err on the side of the coop being too large....if there is such a thing. Now, you need to keep in mind of course that the sq.ft. is just a minimum guideline. Everyone's circumstances are different. For instance, if you live in a warm weather climate, or if you free range your chickens for the day and they only go in the coop at night for sleeping. It all depends. Alot of those people that sell or buy coops that advertise that you can fit 4-6 birds in these tiny coops are just trying to sell inexpensive cute little coops. I thiink that's where the idea comes from that you only need a small amount of space. But, ask those that have been raising chickens for a number of years. Not everyone on BYC has a lot of experience....INCLUDING ME! Like I said, I just go by what those with experience have told me.

Back
Top Bottom