Is my coop too drafty? Ideas on how to fix it?

I ended up rarely using the tarp
smile.png

Since my posts on this thread I've grown a lot LOL and worry much less.
wink.png

After the pictures posted a few posts back I built an aviary on the side fully enclosed in 1/4" hardware cloth. I did come out one morning to a ruckus and a large, but skinny bobcat jumping against the side so I know it kept them safe! (I'm in a neighborhood in North Dallas! A big bobcat was a surprise at 9am.)

And since then I've actually reconfigured the modular coop/playhouse walls my FIL built again. I turned the 3 circle window walls on their side so they're 6' tall and built two large people-size doors on the front for great access. It does mean that it's no longer off the ground, but the deep litter works much better directly on the ground. One side is still open (the double people doors are 1/4" hardware cloth and 6'x6'), but it faces away from the house which means less wind gusts and a deeper roof overhang helps with the rain getting in.
Next time you hear a ruckus take a gun. If that bobcats like the ones around me he knows were a good chicken dinner sits waiting for him when he is hungry.

Scott

smile.png

wink.png

After the pictures posted a few posts back I built an aviary on the side fully enclosed in 1/4" hardware cloth. I did come out one morning to a ruckus and a large, but skinny bobcat jumping against the side so I know it kept them safe! (I'm in a neighborhood in North Dallas! A big bobcat was a surprise at 9am.)

And since then I've actually reconfigured the modular coop/playhouse walls my FIL built again. I turned the 3 circle window walls on their side so they're 6' tall and built two large people-size doors on the front for great access. It does mean that it's no longer off the ground, but the deep litter works much better directly on the ground. One side is still open (the double people doors are 1/4" hardware cloth and 6'x6'), but it faces away from the house which means less wind gusts and a deeper roof overhang helps with the rain getting in.

Any pictures?
photosmile.gif

Wow, cmom, I'm glad you figured out what was killing them, but sorry it meant the trouble and expense of covering the entire run in netting! I love the open side coops...do you leave the tarps all year or just when it's a rainy season?

Exited for typos

Yes I do keep the tarps on. The sun eats them so I buy cheap ones and replace them every year. They face the east and the sun does shine in brightly so it actually helps keep it cooler in there during the summer and dryer when it rains. They have shade in all of the pens, trees and shade/rain tables.

smile.png

wink.png

Years ago I raised Pheasants. One morning I found several dead. I found where something had dug under the fence. I put some traps out and caught a Bobcat. It didn't come back the next night but did the following night. Now I have electric wire around all of my pens and coops as well as the netting over the pens. So far no more losses.

Next time you hear a ruckus take a gun.
Scott

:D I'm not allowed to use my guns in the middle of Dallas! I guess I could borrow my son's long bow, but I might just make a bobcat mad.;)
Honestly, that side of the house has zero windows and I didn't hear the ruckus until I came around the corner of the house with the bucket of feed. I was sufficiently scary and that bobcat cleared a 6 foot fence no problem. You're right that he might come back. I hope not, but plan for the worst as far as predator-proofing.

Any pictures?  

Soon.
I enjoyed your's!

I'm still building the new run on the side since the reconfiguration. It'll be fully enclosed in hardware cloth and only about 3' tall so they have some outdoor space that's predator-proof. Then I'll have small paddocks and/or chicken tunnels in the food forest I'm developing for them to forage when I'm home.

Currently 11 almost two week olds are in the coop with the mama heating pad/electric hen (idea from BYC) on deep litter. It's enough space for them for now so I've taken a building break to garden. :D

I ended up adding another perch or 2 in my coop so the chickens can decide how close to the windows or vents that they want to be, as well as how close to each other they want to be. I'm hoping that on windy days that this will be good enough to help them regulate their temperature better. I say make sure they have an option to roost away from the vents.

Back
Top Bottom