Is my drake sick? Green Poop?

FunQuail

Songster
Sep 23, 2018
Kansas
Hey everyone!
I've noticed the last two weeks give or take, my drake River in the morning usually just stands around looking hunched. I thought since it has been chilly he was just cold. But since everyone else was playing and splashing I took notice. Yesterday morning he went poop and I looked at it and it was milky white goo? He hadn't eaten yet, he waits for everyone else to eat before he does. This morning I caught him and looked him over, I didn't notice anything wrong. Then a bit later he eats like 2-3 mouthfuls of feed and he seems to feel better. And then he poops and I looked at it and noticed it was green? I haven't fed them anything green since several days ago which was romaine lettuce. I haven't noticed anyone else acting like this. I plan to hang out with them later and check their poops to see if anyone else has this.
Thanks in advance!
Kelly

Attachments

• IMG_0387.JPG
    IMG_0387.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 21
Green colored feces can have several indications besides foods that were green in color, one common one would be bile production, which is increased greatly during an anorexic state. It may be good to grab the duck and examine his body for any abnormalities. Checking inside his mouth, feeling his keel bone, crop, looking around his vent, etc. Here is a good link regarding performing examinations in poultry :

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/exot...ltry/physical-examination-of-backyard-poultry

Keep us updated.

Last edited:
A green colored feces can have several indications besides foods that were green in color, one common one would be bile production, which is increased greatly during an anorexic state. It may be good to grab the duck and examine his body for any abnormalities. Checking inside his mouth, feeling his keel bone, crop, looking around his vent, etc. Here is a good link regarding performing examinations in poultry :

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/exot...ltry/physical-examination-of-backyard-poultry

Keep us updated.
Thank you so much! I will :)

Hello thanks for asking! I was going to do an update. He seems to be doing pretty good, he was running around flapping this morning. I think he doesn't like the cold. Once he eats, drinks, and warms up he perks up and acts like himself. I haven't had the chance to catch him and do a thorough inspection.
I'll let you know if anything changes and when I catch him if I notice anything!
Thank you!
Kelly

Anyone have any ideas? Is he okay?
Yes he's just fine.
Taking advantage of good forage.
My ducks vary from solid and tan; allflock pellets, to black and runny; slugs, with green in the spectrum when they are eating weeds.
Never thought that I would ever want more slugs and dandelions in my yard until I had ducks.

Hello thanks for asking! I was going to do an update. He seems to be doing pretty good, he was running around flapping this morning. I think he doesn't like the cold. Once he eats, drinks, and warms up he perks up and acts like himself. I haven't had the chance to catch him and do a thorough inspection.
I'll let you know if anything changes and when I catch him if I notice anything!
Thank you!
Kelly

Glad to hear he's feeling better.

Back
Top Bottom