Scovyfive

Chirping
Sep 19, 2020
Hey fellow duck lovers. Yesterday I said goodbye to one of my Muscovy ducks, Daphne. She died after a long bout with a respiratory illness of some kind. My question today is about her sister Gigi. Gigi has been standoffish the last few days, and I noticed yesterday was not interested in eating. Since her sister died she has been very lethargic and not interested in any of the normal duck activities, and won't eat, but she is drinking. I have been focused on her sister for so long, I'm not even sure how long she has been not eating. Today I fed her with a syringe and she took it ok and is drinking on her own fine.
The thing is, it's hard for me to tell if she is infected with the same thing her sister had or not. Her sister had a bad cough for a couple weeks that eventually went away, but then a short time later she started to have labored mouth breathing. Even in this condition she was still eating and bathing, but finally the last week she stopped eating entirely and had to be syringe fed. So Gigi has none of the respiratory symptoms. She is just being lethargic and not eating. The only physical sign I see is that her red caruncles are starting to look scaly which is how Daphne's looked for the last few weeks.
What are your thoughts, is she sick with the same illness, should I quarantine her from the rest of the flock and start treating her for a respiratory illness immediately even if she is not showing signs of infection, or should I assume she is just sad, and continue to hand feed her, but let her roam with the rest of the flock and hope her spirit refreshes? Thanks for your thoughts, I really don't want to lose another duck, burying one yesterday was very hard on me.

Hey fellow duck lovers. Yesterday I said goodbye to one of my Muscovy ducks, Daphne. She died after a long bout with a respiratory illness of some kind. My question today is about her sister Gigi. Gigi has been standoffish the last few days, and I noticed yesterday was not interested in eating. Since her sister died she has been very lethargic and not interested in any of the normal duck activities, and won't eat, but she is drinking. I have been focused on her sister for so long, I'm not even sure how long she has been not eating. Today I fed her with a syringe and she took it ok and is drinking on her own fine.
The thing is, it's hard for me to tell if she is infected with the same thing her sister had or not. Her sister had a bad cough for a couple weeks that eventually went away, but then a short time later she started to have labored mouth breathing. Even in this condition she was still eating and bathing, but finally the last week she stopped eating entirely and had to be syringe fed. So Gigi has none of the respiratory symptoms. She is just being lethargic and not eating. The only physical sign I see is that her red caruncles are starting to look scaly which is how Daphne's looked for the last few weeks.
What are your thoughts, is she sick with the same illness, should I quarantine her from the rest of the flock and start treating her for a respiratory illness immediately even if she is not showing signs of infection, or should I assume she is just sad, and continue to hand feed her, but let her roam with the rest of the flock and hope her spirit refreshes? Thanks for your thoughts, I really don't want to lose another duck, burying one yesterday was very hard on me.
I'm so sorry to hear about Daphne. :(
Seeing as she passed just recently, I would not take any chances with her sister Gigi. I would quarantine her immediately, keep syringe feeding her if she's not eating on her own, and try to be very vigilant of your other ducks to see if anyone exhibits any other symptoms. Good luck And let us know if you need any other help ❤️

Id quarantine her to be safe. From what you describe she's showing signs of the same thing. There is also a strong possibility she is mourning a bit too, which if it is true, she might do better w/o the harassment of the other ducks as well. As mentioned, there are places to get antibiotics, if she was in contact with the sick one, it might be prudent to start treating her now, rather than wait to see if she gets worse. If she is sick, by the time she starts showing it hard enough for you to take notice, it might be too late to do much about it.

Good luck and please keep us updated.
Aaron

Edit: Also, Id like to add. You asked, should I quarantine her from the rest of the flock. That's NOT a good question to have to ask at this point. Since you don't know what they have, or it's gestation period or anything really, it could possibly be already in the rest of your flock. Keep a VERY CLOSE eye on the rest of your flock and if you see any sign's, Id start treating them too right away. You already know what ever this is, is a killer. I mention this because sometimes we get so worried for the sick one, we don't think outside the box about the still healthy ones, and we don't want this to spread.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I did quarantine my other duck, but unfortunately she just passed. She went so fast! This morning she was running from me, a couple hours ago she couldn't stand up, then she couldn't hold her head up, then she passed. So fast. The rest of my flock looks good. I am keeping a strong eye on all of them at this point. I changed out all bedding and water dishes. I will look through all your replies in more detail tomorrow. I'm a puddle of tears right now and not good for much. Thank you for all your kind replies! God bless...

Back
Top Bottom