Is my duck sick?

Chicken Charmer

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 17, 2013
Hi there, I am knew here, and I am knew to owning ducks. I got 2 Muscovy ducklings this spring and they a are fantastic little addition to my flock although I think one maybe sick... It seems like her natural oil isn't working,,, if that makes any sense at all. When the 2 ducks go in the pool the one comes out nice and white and seems like she doesn't even get wet because of the natural oil, the other one lately comes out sopping wet and seems like they don't dry at all, all day, their feathers are all rugged looking and looks absolutely filthy! Is she sick? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Could be nutritional. Could be age. Or could just be that oil gland is plugged. Try getting her indoors into a warmish (but not at all hot) bath and sort of check her out all over, and try to locate that gland, maybe even gently massage it. That might do the trick. Let me know how it goes.

Well, they are still pretty young, Hatched in April, and they couldn't have any better nutrition, but I will bring her in and bath her and see what happens, I will post again when I am finished

Well, they are still pretty young, Hatched in April, and they couldn't have any better nutrition, but I will bring her in and bath her and see what happens, I will post again when I am finished
When you have her in the tub in warm water try massaging her oil gland it's at the upper side of her tail where tail and body meets. maybe even putting a warm water cloth over like a compress. They can get stopped up sometimes. Does she eat and drink and poop normal and is she active like the others? speaking of preening does she preen after bathing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom