is my easter egger a faker?

I also got my EEs from BYC and both of them lay a beautiful green egg. Pearl is an all white bird, and Tuesday is brown with black edges on her feathers. They started laying around 22 and 24 weeks.

Chickens are Awesome- What type of comb does your hen have? The gene for blue eggs is directly related to hens with pea combs. Also it is possible that she hasn't started laying yet. Depending on what area of the country you live there may not be enough daylite hours to start her to laying. I have pullets that were hatched last May or June that are just beginning to lay.

Quote:
That's very nice of you, I wish I had a broody right now
sad.png
I've been wanting more EE...maybe some other time
wink.png

At 6 1/2 months it could very easily go either way. Easter Eggers are notorious for being late bloomers, although there are obviously exceptions. I have 3 EE from MPC. One started laying at 24 weeks and lays a beautiful, med-large green egg about 4-6 days a week. She was also the first to start laying and I will admit to being surprised that our first egg was green because I had honestly expected everyone else to start laying first. The other two have yet to lay and they are about 27 weeks old now. One of them is showing no particular signs of being ready to lay (although my first layer didn't really either until after she started laying) and the other one has been squatting for us for about a week now so I'm hoping we'll see eggs from her soon.

Quote:
That's very nice of you, I wish I had a broody right now
sad.png
I've been wanting more EE...maybe some other time
wink.png

If you want to drive 4 hours for them you can pick up some chicks.
lol.png

Kelly, I am moving from Clermont to Oviedo and have 1 last truck / trailer load to pick up over the weekend.

I also have 20 eggs ready to go into my incubator and I would love to hatch out a few of your eggs. Can I pick some up?

I have RIR chicks and a RIR Roo x EE Hen mixed chicks... I noticed the rir x ee chicks inherited the rir yellowish legs so I'm wondering if they're going to lay brown?

I did pick up a EE roo from a lady who wasn't allowed to have him in her nice subdivision but the girls haven't really taken to him yet or he hasn't taken the girls yet... whichever!

Please let me know if I can pick up a couple eggs from you to add to my hatch!

Chris

I have a question about EEs, if you guys don't mind, since I'm getting three EEs this March.

Can one girl lay different colored eggs, or does she just pick a color and it stays that way her whole life?

I probably won't mind either way, I'm keeping my girls mostly as pets. I'm just curious.
roll.png

They pick a color and shape and stick with it! Sometimes slight variations but not much.

PS Wanted to say you will love your ee's. Ours are our favorite birds. So pretty and interesting. Very friendly.

Last edited:
My EE is a darling. She does happen to lay lightly tinted green eggs, but its her personality that I love. She just wants to be held and loved on. She jumps onto her favorite perch and I know that's the time for me to go get her and give petsies. If I put her down before she's gotten her fill, she will just repeat the "cue" until she's happily fulfilled. She gets jealous of the other girls as well if they are getting love and she's not. Its precious.

I have two EE's (see sig). Plasma is the one that lays the blue eggs, while Gracie is the one who lays normal colors. Of course, Plasma looks much more like an EE Ameraucana than Gracie does, she just looks like a Wellsummer with blonde highlights.
lol.png
EE's are pretty sweet in most cases, and are generally quite likely to be the most curious, as well as the main punching bag in the flock. It's quite sad, but it's the truth, unfortunately.

But yes, an EE only chooses one color of egg, and will only generally provide the trademark blue, green, and such if it is pure bred.

Back
Top Bottom