is my easter egger a faker?

chickens are awesome

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 17, 2010
Hi, my easter egger hen is about 6 1/2 months old. We do not know if she is laying yet, but all we are getting are brown eggs. Is theat just her color, or does she still have time to go until her first egg?

-Thanks.

Where did you get her from? If she's from a hatchery it's very possible that she lays brown eggs. It's also very possible that she just hasn't started laying yet.

Quote:
x2

EEs can literally lay ANY color of egg, white, pink, blue, green, brown, and any variation thereof...

Last edited:
Quote:
They can come in any color and it's not really related to egg color. The only way to be 100% sure they'll lay blue eggs is to get purebred Ameraucanas or Auracanas. You can be mostly sure they'll lay blue/green if you know they hatched from a colored egg and the rooster that fertilized it did too...not something you'll be able to find out if she came from a hatchery. I have tons off EEs and they all lay colored eggs, but that's b/c I've hatched almost all of them myself.
wink.png

Right on the money KellyHM!

Copied directly from My Pet Chicken's website under the description of their EEs...

"They are friendly, great layers of large blue and green eggs, and (rarely) white, creamy brown or even pinkish eggs."

wink.png

Yeah. That's my understanding too. You are going to have kind of a roll of the dice as to what the color will be, white, a creamy color, a pinkish brown, a brown, blueish or greenish.
smile.png
I got my EE from the Humane society strangely enough. She's friendly and all, and lays a light borwn egg. Was I hoping for a greenish or blueish from her? You bet. But in the grand scheme of things, she's a good bird and a joy to have around, so eventually I will just add another girl or two or six (chicken math) to the flock and work for the color with them.

My EEs took a while to lay... all hatch sisters:
Martha 31 1/2 weeks
Georgia 33 1/2 weeks
Geena & Bronwen laid on the same day at 9 1/2 MONTHS.
Give it time. Is she squatting, is her comb red, is she friendly?

One of my EE's lays a blue/green and the other lays a lite brown. Yesterday I got a dark brown, but I don't know who did it yet. They started laying at 16 weeks...they are bantams if that makes a difference...and I also have a rooster and have heard that they will lay earlier if you have a roo. Could that be true?

Back
Top Bottom