is my easter egger a pullet? almost 6 week old

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by candyNflowers, Mar 18, 2013.

1. candyNflowers

candyNflowers Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2013
    Albany, Oregon
    My Coop
    had a tail at 4 days old and wings feathered fairly fast but head seems a bit fluffy at the momment. 5/6 weeks old in pics. hopefully these pics will be helpful enough as my previous post didnt get any replies. Hoping Princess Sofia the First (my daughter picked the name) is a girl as we cant keep a roo and she is the friendliest of our 4 chickens. she is a week younger than my other three chickens and even they baby her. she's bold and fearless and flew before a couple of the older birds. thanks, lisa

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I want to say girl, but it could go either way, watch for dark red feathers in the wings (means rooster)

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Pullet. Without a doubt.

4. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    My Coop
    I agree, that salmon breast tells me it's a pullet.

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Sorry, I'm seeing patchy spots on the wings that match the breast. I'm saying roo.

6. ChickenChatten

ChickenChatten Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    I'd say pullet.

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN

Nah, she looks just like my Hazel did. That orangey body color shows all over eventually and it isn't the brick red that comes in on the boys. I don't have a 6 week photo on here but you can see it at 10 weeks:[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    My Coop
    I had a young pullet who looked exactly like OPs bird. I really think that chick's a pullet, I have not yet seen a cockerel with a salmon breast.

1 person likes this.
  9. candyNflowers

Feb 13, 2013
    Albany, Oregon
    My Coop
    thank you, i really hope she is a pullet as she is our sweetest, friendliest of the bunch. I was a bit worried about the orange on the wings but from pics i have seen the orange on the chest does look more like a girl coloring. -lisa

10. candyNflowers

Feb 13, 2013
    Albany, Oregon
    My Coop
    updated photos 9 weeks. thinking she's a girl as her comb isnt red nor does it have three rows for an easter egger but she did develop the darker orange on her body which some say could indicate a roo, the coloring seems fairly even and is on chest with patches in the wings. the shoulders dont seem to be as dark colored at this point. opinions as to the sex? Its hard to get a posture picture when they arent pecking the ground or startled by something. thanks, lisa
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]''

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by