Is my EE broody? Help, I don't think she is broody maybe sick(update)

mamagardener

Songster
11 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Central Massachussetts
My EE hen has been hanging around the coop for a couple days. Now she is in an empty nestbox. She doesn't seem sick, just maybe broody. I saw her get out of the nestbox and drink water. I gave her some food and she ate it. Now she is asleep in the nestbox instead of going on the roost. She roosted last night, but she was just a little lethargic for the last couple of days until today when she went in the nestbox. Is she just broody?

Last edited:
Mine is exactly the same. I'm hoping!!! I have a roo, so I'm hoping to raise some chicks (well, the hen will hopefully do the raising!!) Anyways, I was on here reading tonight about how to get a hen to go broody and I went out to the coop to check and she's in the nest box. So... let's hope someone can answer your (and my) question.

She could be sick or eggbound too, but I hope it's broody. You could try placing a couple of eggs in front of her, if she coos at them and tucks them under I'd say broody. Either way though it would be a good idea to give her a good going over and make sure there is no parasite problems or a stuck egg.

She is just laying around. Her eyes are bright, and her breathing seems normal. She doesn't seem to be uncomfortable, just quiet. When I offer her food she eats it, and I saw her drink some water. She is sitting in a nestbox that no one uses to lay eggs, and there was an egg in there. So I would assume she had just laid it herself. So I don't think she is eggbound.
When I took the egg she didn't seem to mind though, and she really wasn't even laying on it, it was just next to her. So is it possible that this is just a hen learning how to be broody?

Earlier reply was what was happening yesterday. I just went out to feed and water them, and she is not doing well at all. Yesterday she got up and drank some water and ate some food out of my hand. She seemed fine except for just laying around in a nestbox.
Now she is just laying there, she is breathing but her eyes are closed and when I touched her she didn't respond at all. I don't know what to do. Like I said, I don't think she is eggbound, there was an egg in the nestbox yesterday afternoon and it is one that nobody uses, I have never gotten an egg in that one. What should I do? Or is it too late to do anything seeing she wont respond to me at all.

It seems to me that when a chicken becomes ill, it is very difficult to tell what is wrong. I have done reading in the past when I have had a sick chook and it seems supportive care and generalized treatment plans are used most often. Basically, antibiotics for possible infection, deworming for possible infestation, vitamins, warmth (if cold outside), water and getting the chicken to eat something. Lots of posts refer to dosages and specific products. good luck, praying for your chicken

Back
Top Bottom