Is my flock relaxed or depressed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bloom chicks, Jan 16, 2012.

1. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    Yesterday I told you about my rooster that pushed my daughter...... From the response that I got I decided to remove him.....So last night I put him in a dog cage in the garage....... This morning when I let my flock out my BO alpha rooster was looking around like he was looking for something....then he went and laid down.......Usually they are very active and he is always on the look out.........Are they relaxed because the other rooster is gone or are they depressed or concerned? [​IMG] ........... Are there signs I should look for?....... Should I put the other rooster back with the flock?....... I have 14 girls and 9- 2 1/2 week old chicks.......... the BR rooster looks very sad that he is in the dog cage..... Any and all input or advice is greatly appreciated.....Thank you!

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    Are those the only 2 roosters in your flock? It sounds like the BO rooster is no longer in need of being on lookout for the challenger.

3. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    Yes at the moment! I don't know how many roosters I have in my clutch yet. Ugh! [​IMG] Now my BO that use to be protective of my daughter pecked her tonight when I was closing up the coop! He is such a sweet rooster. Now do I get rid of him too? [​IMG]

4. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Pecks can be a lot different than attacks. Chickens don't have hands to grab, and they don't see well in the dark, so to see what something might be at/around dark they might peck at it.

5. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    So do I wait and see...... My daughter is scared of him now...... she is 4......

6. greatchicken

greatchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Michigan
    I would just let things calm down for a couple of day. He may just be a little stress from the loss of the other roo. Chickens are not real fond of change.

ETA: Just keep an eye on him when he is around your daughter. The pecking order is going to have to be reestablished.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  7. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    Ok. Thank you very much! He is such a good boy....... I hope and pray he stays that way.

8. greatchicken

greatchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Michigan
    We had 7 roos at one time. When we re homed 6 of them the one we kept got a little feisty for a day or two but now he is back to his sweet self.

9. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    Thank you I am hoping that is the case..... Do you think that he will be able to protect my flock now all by himself....... my husband is concerned that he may not be able to protect the flock by himself....... I have 14 hens and 9 chicks that are almost 3 weeks old.......

10. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Did you incubate or have a broody? Sounds like your hen hatched them. If their all living together & you free range. You probably will need another roo. I'd let the young ones grow up before adding another roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by