Is my goose egg dead?

Mew2

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
(If you don't want to read the unnecessary bits just skip to the red Anyways)
So basically I have this Canada goose egg and I am currently incubating it. I found it outside of a goose's nest along with three other eggs, I'm not sure if she rolled it out or if it had fallen out but I know it hadn't been there for more than a day because I had been checking up on the nest frequently (I want to see them hatch ^_^). I've heard that mother geese will roll bad eggs out of their nest however I've also heard this is a myth and sometimes they will roll them out to make more room in the nest. I know the chances of the egg hatching are probably less than slim, however I am determined to do my best to hatch it because I am a waterfowl lover and have had backyard chickens in the past. Anyways when I first got the egg I candled it and found a large dark mass in it, about maybe a bit less than half the egg. I also know the mother goose had been incubating it at least a week, so I know it's fertile. I put it in a still air incubator that has been maintaining 100.5 to 101 degrees F (is this too high or too low?) and have turned it and kept the humidity at about 70 to 75 percent. I candled the egg eight days later (at least 14 days old) and found that the dark mass had grown larger and now takes up a little more than half the egg. However, here are my concerns:
I can't really see any veins
The dark mass only moves when I turn the egg
The dark part tends to float at the top of the egg (could the reason its growing be because it's some type of bacteria?)
Finally, there is a slight smell coming from the egg, its not like a rotten egg smell, but its not exactly a good smell either. When I first got the egg it also had the smell but I have just figured that it probably has swamp water on it and came out of a goose's butt so it can't smell too good. But it worries me because when I open the incubator it smells funny. But also when I take the egg out of the incubator, the incubator still smells weird. So I do have my suspicions that the incubator is causing some of the smell. The incubator I'm using is the Farm Innovator's Still Ar Incubator Model 2100. Does anyone have any experience with this incubator? It smelled very plasticy and weird when I first opened the box. Also it is made more for chicken or turkey eggs, not waterfowl eggs, which is why I think the high humidity may be causing the funny smell. I really don't know and I'm going to give the egg more time I'm just worried about it exploding...
Anyways if you have any tips, ideas, anything at all (even if its the fact that you think the egg is dead :'( ), Please comment! Everything you have to contribute is extremely appreciated!
Thank you so much!

(If you don't want to read the unnecessary bits just skip to the red Anyways)
So basically I have this Canada goose egg and I am currently incubating it. I found it outside of a goose's nest along with three other eggs, I'm not sure if she rolled it out or if it had fallen out but I know it hadn't been there for more than a day because I had been checking up on the nest frequently (I want to see them hatch ^_^). I've heard that mother geese will roll bad eggs out of their nest however I've also heard this is a myth and sometimes they will roll them out to make more room in the nest. I know the chances of the egg hatching are probably less than slim, however I am determined to do my best to hatch it because I am a waterfowl lover and have had backyard chickens in the past. Anyways when I first got the egg I candled it and found a large dark mass in it, about maybe a bit less than half the egg. I also know the mother goose had been incubating it at least a week, so I know it's fertile. I put it in a still air incubator that has been maintaining 100.5 to 101 degrees F (is this too high or too low?) and have turned it and kept the humidity at about 70 to 75 percent. I candled the egg eight days later (at least 14 days old) and found that the dark mass had grown larger and now takes up a little more than half the egg. However, here are my concerns:
I can't really see any veins
The dark mass only moves when I turn the egg
The dark part tends to float at the top of the egg (could the reason its growing be because it's some type of bacteria?)
Finally, there is a slight smell coming from the egg, its not like a rotten egg smell, but its not exactly a good smell either. When I first got the egg it also had the smell but I have just figured that it probably has swamp water on it and came out of a goose's butt so it can't smell too good. But it worries me because when I open the incubator it smells funny. But also when I take the egg out of the incubator, the incubator still smells weird. So I do have my suspicions that the incubator is causing some of the smell. The incubator I'm using is the Farm Innovator's Still Ar Incubator Model 2100. Does anyone have any experience with this incubator? It smelled very plasticy and weird when I first opened the box. Also it is made more for chicken or turkey eggs, not waterfowl eggs, which is why I think the high humidity may be causing the funny smell. I really don't know and I'm going to give the egg more time I'm just worried about it exploding...
Anyways if you have any tips, ideas, anything at all (even if its the fact that you think the egg is dead :'( ), Please comment! Everything you have to contribute is extremely appreciated!
Thank you so much!
Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
My gut feeling is your goose egg isn't good. I had a Muscovy duck sitting on my gooses eggs and after 2 weeks they had not changed so instead of putting her through the whole time of sitting and then having to toss the eggs I came to this thread and after seeing the pics and reading what Pete said I knew these eggs were not fertile. Now yours may have been but somewhere along the way it hasn't developed. Heres the link and you can decide for your self.. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed

Thank you, and I have to agree with you on this one. It probably died at some point :( But I'm still going to continue to incubate it, if there's any chance it will hatch I'll take it, even if it means a rotten explosion! I guess my biggest question is, does the growing embryo float like that? And is it possible for it to be dead but the dark spot to be growing?

I'm afraid it sound very much like the embryo has died and probably already had when you found it. The mass sounds like a bacterial infection and as the mass only moves when the egg is moved and in the absence of blood vessels, I would conclude its gone off. I would think the smell will only increase and if it does then throw the egg before it explodes, and contaminates your incubator.

Sorry to bear bad news but that's my opinion.

Pete

Thank you Pete, that's kind of what I guessed was happening, if the smell gets worse I'll definitely toss it. Guess I'm just kind of in denial about it being alive

I went on a little trip around my yard and I found one goose egg in a nest as I was looking at it my dog came along and picked it up and had it resting in his mouth, there is a small crack on it and I am not sure if it is dead or alive because of the small movement it got.
fl.gif

I went on a little trip around my yard and I found one goose egg in a nest as I was looking at it my dog came along and picked it up and had it resting in his mouth, there is a small crack on it and I am not sure if it is dead or alive because of the small movement it got.
fl.gif
May not even be a gosling in it. Candle it and tell us what you see.

Welcome to BYC

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom