Is my guard goose lonely?

enlightenedkitty

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2022
Northern Bc Canada
So we started our flock with around 14 chicks and a gosling back in May.

Its been 4 months and I spend a lot of time hanging out with the chickens and goose.

Health wise everyone seems really happy and excited to see me when i come to the chicken coop. The goose has started to hiss recently and i see it as it learning to use its new voice (we dont know the sex yet) im not concerned about the hissing its 99% of the time very friendly and nice to me.

I do see it standing by the gate of the run a when it seems me outside and looks sort of sad wondering around in there. It gets along great with the chickens as they grew up together.

Now ive got a couple people in my ear telling me im cruel for not having a companion for my goose as in another goose.

I love animals and i dont see anything negative going on and everyone is very simpatico.

I have so many concerns if i were to inquire for another goose to join the flock. Because everyone is getting on great and i dont want to have someone manipulating me into doing something that might actually end up being more work for us and if i were to get another goose would they get along? Would my goose defend my chickens from a new member? What if the new goose doesnt get along with the chickens? Can they all sleep in the same coop like they do now?

So much could go wrong and i want to make sure before too much time passes that my goose is also happy.

Any thoughts and or advice would be much appreciated

There’s no clear answer to any of these questions because geese are all individuals, it’s hard to predict what will happen.

The thing that is 100% true is that geese are happiest around other geese, and they can bond with their own sex so opposite genders aren’t even necessary. Ganders will squabble with each other sometimes in breeding season, but bonded ganders are kinder to each other. Sometimes females bicker with each other too, so either way you could end up with a squabble now and then.

If you get another goose your’s will bond with it and won’t defend your chickens from it, geese aren’t flock guardians even if they like the flock. Geese will defend goslings and other babies and a nesting mate, but they aren’t going to stand up for just anyone else.

The new goose could get along with the chickens, or it might try to kill them, most likely it will tolerate their presence as long as they don’t invade it’s personal space.
Very young geese are going to adapt more easily to the chickens, the fact that your current goose is already friendly with them makes it better odds that the new one will learn to accept the chickens too, but it’s not a guarantee.

Even if you don’t get another goose there’s no guarantee your goose won’t also one day turn aggressive towards one or more of your chickens, they are birds and birds can be ruthless, especially as were coming up on winter “breeding season for geese” when horomones make geese quick to anger and less rational.

So much could go wrong and i want to make sure before too much time passes that my goose is also happy.

Any thoughts and or advice would be much appreciated
It's not a decision for other people who are not raising your birds. If all is well and you are at the peak of your learning curve then I would say don't add to it as you could completely upset the cohesion of the flock.

That said if you're comfortable with taking on more responsiblity and prepared for failure (should that happen) then I say go for it.

It's more work, but raising a gosling up might be the safer bet. If you're looking to rescue then you'll be taking some chance on temperment of a bird you might find off Craigslist.

If you have a goose, then I would get another goose, if you have a gander, I would still get another goose. If you add a gander especially an adult who hasn't been exposed to chickens it may just run them off seeing them as competition.

I have a semi-mixed flock they all chill together, but the geese like their space and warn the chickens when they're too close. They're housed under the same roof with different pens.

I'm not concerned about whether or not they're imprinted to the degree they'll jump in front of a bus for the chickens because they're already terrioritial. The chickens are protected simply because they're tollerated by the geese.

Maybe it’s about finding the right goose… you can try to find one that is already friendly towards chickens. I haven’t had any real problems with my geese hurting my chickens… mating season is brutal though.

You have a goose issue going on that's called puberty. No real answer to what you should do about getting another one. But now is the time to step up to your middle school child boy or girl and make sure it know the rules. You are the lead, the number one, the if it wasn't for you. Not mean or hurtful just as simple as telling it what you want. When you get a hiss move to it push it back with your presents. Always look a goose straight in the eye when you do that. Always when it back down make sure it knows you are the champion. Its all about pecking order and my guess is as soon as you can teach it it has a job but your there as the true protector it will relax a bit and count on you more.
I guess the best way to explain this is I raise my geese with respect. And my payback is I get geese that love and respect me and other's. Nothing harsh just pick your battles but always make sure its a battle you have time to win. Most geese are sissy s talk a big talk.

Back
Top Bottom