Is my hen about to lay an egg?

Ozkan

Chirping
May 6, 2017
Hi
I’ve got 6 silkie hens and 2 cockerals. Only 1 of my painted silkies has ever laid as she’s 1 1/2 yrs old all the rest are around 25 weeks including the cockerals. My cockeral has began to mount one of my 25 week old hens. Is that a sign on a soon to be egg? Also he isn’t mounting the rest but dancing around them with his tail down. Is that a sign for a soon to be egg? Thanns

Melky

Spring has sprung!
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
Edgewood, KY
It’s hard to say with Silkies as they are not known for their egg laying abilities. They usually lay 0-3 eggs per week. Egg laying depends on 14-16 hours of daylight and the birds must reach breed weight with signs of physical maturation first. During the winter they usually take a break and might not lay until spring. Sometimes artificial light helps but sometimes not. I do not use artificial light. Hope this helps. Just have to wait and make sure on good feed plenty of water. If over 18 weeks can use 16 % layer feed with oyster shell and poultry grit free choice. Limit treats to less than 10% of diet. So for every 1/2 cup of feed only couple tablespoons of treat. Treats can dilute nutrition and delay laying. Good Luck!

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
A cockerel that age trying to mount a pullet might or might not be a sign that the pullets are near to laying...whether the pullet submits or not.
Mounting, and submitting, is a dominance dance as well as a sexual behavior.
Some cockerels know...and others are just driven by their hormones.
Time will tell...or you could check pelvic points.

Top Bottom