Is my hen an Easter Egger?

...and you can't tell with mixed breed rooster...until you test breed.

That is why using a pure line rooster is important if you want blue layers.

Otherwise it is a lot of hit and miss with mixed EEs....and careful line selection over time.

The beauty of set breed lines.

No, unfortunately. The green egg gene must be present in either the mother or the father to be present in any chicks she may produce. So if you get a pure Ameraucana rooster (don't get an EE, if you for sure want chicks that lay blue/green eggs, get a rooster from a reputable breeder) then you can breed him to your hens and probably most of their chicks will lay green eggs. It is not a guarantee though,you could still very well get some that lay brown.

She is a gorgeous hen though!
Just a correction for future... An Ameraucana rooster is pure for the blue egg gene, which means he carries two blue egg genes. 100% of his daughters will receive a blue egg gene from him. Since blue shell is dominant over white shell, a hen only needs one copy to lay a blue shelled egg. If breed with a white layer, 100% will lay a blue egg. If breed with a brown layer, the majority will lay green but there's also a chance for just blue.

Alright. Thanks so much for the history!
What do you think a buff orpington Ameraucana would look like? Lol
I will be looking into purchasing an Amerecauna rooster, and maybe some hens.
Just depends. XD

A Buff Orp Ameraucana mix would be delightful. Buff adds a whole new dimension to plummage possibilities....depending upon your choice of roo color.

Remember true Ameraucanas come in 8 standard colors, slate legs, beard/muff, pea comb, and have the 2 blue genes you desire to create your own EEs.

Train your eye to recognize a true Ameraucana, so you can weed out all the folks that think they have Ameraucana but actually have EE.

http://ameraucanaalliance.org/photos.html

As @Lady of McCamley stated, it depends on the rooster’s color. I have a Blue Ameraucana rooster. The majority of his offspring are blue. Here are three of the girls from one batch that included some BO eggs. That batch also included Delaware and SLR Wyandotte. I’m not sure who the mother(s) might be but it gives you an idea.
61E1808E-433A-409B-B960-0FD17929A6FF.jpeg
054B048A-D2A8-40CA-85E2-CDD4590B801F.jpeg
CBDC0C39-8E26-4644-94A3-921C620DFB9B.jpeg

My girl y'all say is an easter egger looks a lot like your girl, there. Lol She looks almost identical to your first two pictures.
It might be a while, but I think I'd like to buy an Ameracauna rooster. What is a reasonable price for one? I'm not sure if I'd find any where I live, and if I did I would think they'd be expensive. Does Tractor supply sell them true? Is it safe to ship?
I'm so new to this >_<

For chicks it would vary but I’d say around $15-$20. Not sure how much for older but I think it would also depend on the seller. If they are a well known breeder they might get away with charging more. There are some hatcheries that sell true Ameraucana, Meyer, Cackle, and MPC come to mind As far as I know they only have Blue/Black/Splash Ams. They will actually put the color in the name. If it’s selling for under $5 it’s an EE. Lots of folks ship chicks but there are of course risks and most hatcheries have minimum order. Shipping costs are the big expense many times.

You can also check the Am club websites. They should have breeders listed by state.

I must be lucky - every EE hen I've ever had was/is a blue egg layer. All have beards and muffs as well. Your girls are lovely all the same :)

All 5 of my hens are laying. Because of the heat their egg production has drastically slowed, but I've seen eggs from all of them. I have no blue/green egg layers. ):
Are y'all sure that brown hen is an Easter Egger too? She doesn't have the extra feathers around her face like the gray one does.

Not all EEs have muffs or beard. My 1st EE does not. Here's what she looks like, but she lays a green egg.
Bunny 22 wks.JPG

Back
Top Bottom