demonic

Songster
Apr 12, 2021
New York
I have a easter egger x Delaware hen that is around a year and 3 months old named Olivia. She is kind of known to hate chicks and loves to peck all chickens smaller than her. However, lately she has been laying eggs later than usual and takes longer to lay them. (usually she would lay before we opened the coop which was 7-8 am, and now she goes to lay at like 10 am and takes an hour or two) but I didn’t think much of it, I thought it was just the weather. However, today, this is what happened.
is this broody behavior? I don’t really know with her because like I said, she hates chicks. She has been pecking less lately but I thought it was just because she had no choice since there were only 2 other chickens with her. Please let me know so I can get some fertilized eggs for her! (I never dealt with a broody before)

Yeah, some of my hens scream when they are laying as well. But that does not mean she is broody. If she stays on the nest for 2 days, in a row, I would then, call her broody.

Yeah, some of my hens scream when they are laying as well. But that does not mean she is broody. If she stays on the nest for 2 days, in a row, I would then, call her broody.
Turns out she really is broody. She’s still on the eggs but now is showing actual broodiness signs rather than just screaming a little. We gave her 2 fertilized eggs and are planning to give some more And she gladly took them under. Any tips I should know? Do I need to occasionally check up on the eggs or will they be fine as long as she sits and takes care of them

Turns out she really is broody. She’s still on the eggs but now is showing actual broodiness signs rather than just screaming a little. We gave her 2 fertilized eggs and are planning to give some more And she gladly took them under. Any tips I should know? Do I need to occasionally check up on the eggs or will they be fine as long as she sits and takes care of them
Mark the eggs and remove newly layed eggs. Unless you have her separated off. I just got my first broody hen about a month ago, so I am not much experienced myself. But just make sure to mark the eggs. 😉 Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom