Is my hen broody?

w1n7erw01f

In the Brooder
Jul 27, 2016
I woke up late this morning and i was scared that my flock was starving (not literally) but my mother told me she had gone in and fed them for me. After my parents went out i went to go clean out my birds and saw that one of my hens was in one of the nest boxes (i would tell you the breed of her but my whole flock of only 4 birds at the moment are all mixed) i thought maybe she was laying an egg so i left them alone for a while. I went back to check on her to see if she was finished laying but she was still there, as i have only had them for a week and haven't got my run ready yet i have a portable run for them so i have to pick them all up and move them to it. I moved all the others but left her there, mother collected an egg this morning which i suspect is from my silkie cross hen who has been mated every day since we have had them, i put the egg under her just in case she has gone broody.

The hen shows none of the signs of being broody. She normally runs away as you go near her (as she isnt used to being around people) but she just stays comepletely still in the nest box and lets you touch her and even let me put the silkie egg under her.

This is the hen at the moment

That doesn't mean she is broody. Hens often sit on their eggs after they lay them for a little bit, but that doesn't make them broody.

A broody hen stays on the nest all day and night. She will take a break once or twice a day to eat, drink and poop. She will cluck like mad and often puff up like a cotton ball with her wings out. She'll often scream when you get near her on the nest and might even peck you.

Your hen doesn't look or sound broody yet, but she could very well go broody soon.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom