Is my hen broody?

Maschininebot

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2018
Just today I noticed my hen sitting in the nest while I was calling them to give them treats and she was the only one to not respond, so I further investigated by placing eggs beside her and she tucked them under her and pecked at me when I got too close, and this is not normal behavior. Does this mean she is broody? And does the sudden change back to warm weather effect this?

Just today I noticed my hen sitting in the nest while I was calling them to give them treats and she was the only one to not respond, so I further investigated by placing eggs beside her and she tucked them under her and pecked at me when I got too close, and this is not normal behavior. Does this mean she is broody? And does the sudden change back to warm weather effect this?
Definitely sounds like broody behavior to me. What breed is she? Some tend to get very mean when they're broody. The warmer weather can make them broody...most tend not to go broody until it's warmer out. Some however go broody whenever they want to no matter the weather lol.

Chances are she is. If she fluffs up a lot and only gets off the nest 1 or 2 times a day, she is most likely broody. She won't actually be laying eggs if she is broody, just taking over other eggs.

If she continues with this behavior for more than just a couple of days, then she's broody. Be sure to have all the eggs under her be there within a couple of days, so she doesn't get off nest in around 21 days & follow the first group of hatched chicks around thus leaving the unhatched eggs on their own. Candle all the eggs at 14 days & get rid of the infertile ones that look clear so they don't explode & make a terrible mess of the hen, viable eggs or new chicks (have had 2 explode before, big stinky mess). A broody can put up quite a fuss, so be confident when you sort the eggs; I just pull my sleeves down low at first till she's used to being fussed with.

I separated her & the chicks from the rest of the jealous flock before 21 days, as they were repeatedly trying to kick her out of the nest; the other hens also tried to kill the chicks when they were out with the broody for a stretch. Here's a pic of "Blue" & her strong 2 wk chicks in their own safe area in the coop for socialization; their divider gate is temporarily open for their stretch (they dont have access to the whole corn & oyster shell on the right). The hen eats the same chick food of higher protein & no calcium, probably gives her a boost for all her long days of hard work. I usually incubate, but glad to have witnessed this beautiful experience with my first time broody. Have fun. Best wishes.
-2018 BLUE's 4 chicks at 2 wks.jpg

Hormones control broodiness.
Until they stay on nest most the day and all night for 3 days running, I don't call broody. Some birds like to lounge before and after laying, broody birds don't lay.

Back
Top Bottom