Is my hen broody?

Jan 10, 2023
So I've noticed Blue seemed to be hanging around the nest boxes a lot lately. Then yesterday afternoon I found her sitting. I picked her up and dumped her on the floor and she just sat there. Is this broody behaviour? After a while I heard her swearing loudly for 10 minutes then she rejoined the flock outside. I'm completely certain the eggs aren't fertile 🤣

Attachments

• 20230329_095019.jpg
    20230329_095019.jpg
    540.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230329_095116.jpg
    20230329_095116.jpg
    1,020.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230329_095109.jpg
    20230329_095109.jpg
    604.2 KB · Views: 7
So I've noticed Blue seemed to be hanging around the nest boxes a lot lately. Then yesterday afternoon I found her sitting. I picked her up and dumped her on the floor and she just sat there. Is this broody behaviour? After a while I heard her swearing loudly for 10 minutes then she rejoined the flock outside. I'm completely certain the eggs aren't fertile 🤣
I wouldnt consider her broody until she has been on the nest for 3 or 4 plus days. My orpington tricks me all the time and i have no rooster🤣

For me if they want to sit on the nest overnight, plus exhibit at least one other broody behavior (puffing up, broody ticking sounds, plucked chest feathers) I would consider them broody enough for me to break.
I guess she was puffed up but what are broody ticking sounds? Normally I can't touch her but I was able to pick her up as she wouldn't leave the nest. Then she just continued sitting on the ground.

Most broody birds won't like you touch them. Mine were all hand raised and I can pick them up any time I want much to the distain of my rooster. When they are boody you aint sticking your hand near them in the nest without getting pecked.

Most broody birds won't like you touch them. Mine were all hand raised and I can pick them up any time I want much to the distain of my rooster. When they are boody you aint sticking your hand near them in the nest without getting pecked.
Yes she pecked me alright but I just picked her up and dumped her on the floor and blocked off the nest box with a metal fence which she tried to fly back through. Then she squawked an angry raucous sounding bok bok bok (not an egg song sound) for at least 10 minutes. One very p...d off hen.​

I guess she was puffed up but what are broody ticking sounds? Normally I can't touch her but I was able to pick her up as she wouldn't leave the nest. Then she just continued sitting on the ground.
The sound the hen is making here is what I'm referring to:

EDIT: this one is even better, someone just posted it on here:

Set broodies may also screech and fuss if you mess with them in the nest.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom