Is my hen egg bound?

TyKrumland

In the Brooder
Dec 23, 2020
Portland, OR
Yesterday while our three hands were in the yard one of my girls was pooping more than normal and kept stopping to poop and making a chattering noise each time she did it. She also wasn’t moving very quickly. I suspected that she was maybe egg bound so I gave her an Epson salt bath and separated her from the flock last night but she still isn’t completely herself this morning. She is still moving and eating but slowly but has a berry messy backside. I’ve only had chickens for one year so I’m not super knowledgeable. I Any help would be great.

Does she normally lay eggs? How old is she? You can insert a clean finger into her vent up to 2 inches to feel for a stuck egg or obstruction. You can also hive her a human calcium with vitamin d tablet or Tums orally, and that may help muscle contraction to lay the egg.

Does she normally lay eggs? How old is she? You can insert a clean finger into her vent up to 2 inches to feel for a stuck egg or obstruction. You can also hive her a human calcium with vitamin d tablet or Tums orally, and that may help muscle contraction to lay the egg.
I’ll check for the egg. Would I give her one full tum tablet?

Back
Top Bottom