Is my hen ok? 2 eggs at once?!

I'm for getting proactive when any sort of egg anomaly arises. It's so much easier to pop a calcium tablet into a beak than it is to treat an egg bound hen or worse. Here's my newest article on this subject. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/

If this novice layer were mine, I would give her a calcium citrate tablet right now, another tomorrow, and stop when she appears to be laying a normal egg within a normal 25 hour cycle.

I'm for getting proactive when any sort of egg anomaly arises. It's so much easier to pop a calcium tablet into a beak than it is to treat an egg bound hen or worse. Here's my newest article on this subject. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/

If this novice layer were mine, I would give her a calcium citrate tablet right now, another tomorrow, and stop when she appears to be laying a normal egg within a normal 25 hour cycle.
Thank you for this! Can i just give a human one like from CVS? Do I crush it up and put it into food? Thank you for this I will go and read your article now!! Also thank you everyone for your replies you have calmed my worries!

This is the bottle i purchased and confirmed with @azygous that this is correct. Tums will work in a pinch and i have used Tums before but i will always keep this on hand now.
These tables look very large but i was able to open the beak of one of my 1lb bantams and slide it right down her throat. I believe they're too large to accidentally go into their airway, but just avoid the opening at the center of their throats, at the back of their tongue.
20201204_182551.jpg

Thank you for this! Can i just give a human one like from CVS? Do I crush it up and put it into food? Thank you for this I will go and read your article now!! Also thank you everyone for your replies you have calmed my worries!
I would put it in her (open beak and down the throat) because you can be assured that she gets it and exactly how much she gets. The first time i tried giving one of my pullets Tums, every pullet got some except for her :he

This is the bottle i purchased and confirmed with @azygous that this is correct. Tums will work in a pinch and i have used Tums before but i will always keep this on hand now.
These tables look very large but i was able to open the beak of one of my 1lb bantams and slide it right down her throat. I believe they're too large to accidentally go into their airway, but just avoid the opening at the center of their throats, at the back of their tongue.
View attachment 2437099
Oh wow ok that sounds really scary. So what hole am I supposed to aim for? Im sorry thats a tad confusing and I am new on the whole chicken anatomy. Can I just put it on their tongue? Now I am scared I will choke her!

I would put it in her (open beak and down the throat) because you can be assured that she gets it and exactly how much she gets. The first time i tried giving one of my pullets Tums, every pullet got some except for her :he
Sorry to reply twice-- so will tums work too? I have tums on hand but I do not have the calcium citrate. And tums are huge so would they like the taste and eat it her self?

Use the Tums now, but get the calcium citrate as soon as you go shopping again.

You may think chickens can't swallow a big pill because humans often have trouble. It's because chickens have no teeth and don't begin their digestive process by chewing as we do. Try it. Pop it into her mouth and see it disappear without any problem.

Use the Tums now, but get the calcium citrate as soon as you go shopping again.

You may think chickens can't swallow a big pill because humans often have trouble. It's because chickens have no teeth and don't begin their digestive process by chewing as we do. Try it. Pop it into her mouth and see it disappear without any problem.
Ok thank you so much!! I’ll try the tums in the morning!!

Back
Top Bottom