Is my hen ok? 2 eggs at once?!

It's natural to be concerned. It's far better to be concerned than to ignore your concerns. So, you're good!

Dealing with uncooperative chickens is a challenge we all face from time to time. I have a few hens that absolutely hate my guts. They avoid contact at all costs. And this actually works against them when they do get sick or injured because it takes me longer to notice they're in trouble.

So, when one of these hard cases has to be treated for something, I gear up for it. Protective head gear, body armor... no, just kidding. I do wrap them snugly in a towel, and for the real fighters, I add an Ace bandage around the towel for added strength. These fighters use wing and foot action to free themselves from the restraining towel so it's importan to confine those. You can add a little sock over the head and eyes because when a chicken can't see, they really do think you're gone and they relax.

So, having wrapped the chicken tightly, grab the chicken burrito under your arm securely, and force open the beak. Then slip a finger into the beak to keep the beak open, and then pop the pill into the beak and close it. But don't relax your grip on her until you know the pill isn't going to come shooting back out.

If you have large hands with long fingers, you can wrap your hand around the back of the head and use thumb and a finger to force open the beak and hold it open while you slip the pill in with the other hand. Or get someone to hold the hen while you use both hands to force open the beak and put the pill in.

It takes practice. You'll get good at it. I absolutely guarantee you will.

It's natural to be concerned. It's far better to be concerned than to ignore your concerns. So, you're good!

Dealing with uncooperative chickens is a challenge we all face from time to time. I have a few hens that absolutely hate my guts. They avoid contact at all costs. And this actually works against them when they do get sick or injured because it takes me longer to notice they're in trouble.

So, when one of these hard cases has to be treated for something, I gear up for it. Protective head gear, body armor... no, just kidding. I do wrap them snugly in a towel, and for the real fighters, I add an Ace bandage around the towel for added strength. These fighters use wing and foot action to free themselves from the restraining towel so it's importan to confine those. You can add a little sock over the head and eyes because when a chicken can't see, they really do think you're gone and they relax.

So, having wrapped the chicken tightly, grab the chicken burrito under your arm securely, and force open the beak. Then slip a finger into the beak to keep the beak open, and then pop the pill into the beak and close it. But don't relax your grip on her until you know the pill isn't going to come shooting back out.

If you have large hands with long fingers, you can wrap your hand around the back of the head and use thumb and a finger to force open the beak and hold it open while you slip the pill in with the other hand. Or get someone to hold the hen while you use both hands to force open the beak and put the pill in.

It takes practice. You'll get good at it. I absolutely guarantee you will.
Ok thank you for this- this makes me feel better. Im so scared to hold her head tightly too because Im so scared ill snap her neck god forbid! They feel so delicate and with her craziness I worry! I will try the sock thing tomorrow! Right? I should keep giving her half a tums? If her egg is normal tomorrow then should i still keep giving it to her? Also if there is no egg tomorrow should I freak out and assume she has another sof one stuck? Or would that be ok and she might just be skipping a day but keep giving the half a tums? Im sorry I just want to make sure I do everything right! Thank you so so much for all of your help! I really appreciate everyones guidance on this!

Does she have wattles? I have my daughter (9 years old) to help me medicate. I normally hold the chicken, putting my chest behind their heads, so they can't pull backwards. Whenever they have wattles, my daughter will gently but with enough effort, pull on the wattles until they open their beak. Then i will pop the pill in. If they don't have wattles, my daughter still have two hands and can pry open their beak for me. I know that we don't always have a set of helping hands, but if so, it makes a huge difference

Did you read the article I linked to? There will be no doubt if she has a stuck egg. She will be very, very sick and miserable.

Behavior is how you tell a sick chicken from a well chicken. A well chicken is vocal, chatty, active, bright eyed, good appetite. A sick chicken is mute, lethargic, droopy-eyed, no appetite, and often will be fluffed up, shoulders hunched, tail held low and flat, and they often self isolate in a corner or won't come out of the coop.

She needs the whole calcium tablet. This only works when you get a minimum of 500mg into her at a time. Chickens easily swallow mice and toads whole, so a small pill is child's play. Chickens are related to reptiles. Have you ever watched a snake swallow a lizard or mouse? I have. They don't chew their food, either. This snake swallowed this fat lizard whole.
P1010012.JPG

You aren't going to hurt your chicken by holding her tightly. In fact, there's far less danger of injuring a chicken when you have a firm grip on them. They are killed when a sudden movement or impact causes the neck vertebrae to dislocate.

Did you read the article I linked to? There will be no doubt if she has a stuck egg. She will be very, very sick and miserable.

Behavior is how you tell a sick chicken from a well chicken. A well chicken is vocal, chatty, active, bright eyed, good appetite. A sick chicken is mute, lethargic, droopy-eyed, no appetite, and often will be fluffed up, shoulders hunched, tail held low and flat, and they often self isolate in a corner or won't come out of the coop.

She needs the whole calcium tablet. This only works when you get a minimum of 500mg into her at a time. Chickens easily swallow mice and toads whole, so a small pill is child's play. Chickens are related to reptiles. Have you ever watched a snake swallow a lizard or mouse? I have. They don't chew their food, either. This snake swallowed this fat lizard whole.View attachment 2437376

You aren't going to hurt your chicken by holding her tightly. In fact, there's far less danger of injuring a chicken when you have a firm grip on them. They are killed when a sudden movement or impact causes the neck vertebrae to dislocate.
Ahh! I did not know that they could eat those things!! WOW! Yes I did read the article it was great! Very helpful and informative! My chicken yesterday while she was in the nest box during this whole thing was making noises very loud repetitive squawks all in the same screaming middle to high pitched tone. She was digging around and making this noise in the box she then left the box for some time. But then laid the two eggs on the roost bar later in the day- one bad-- so in this cases the noises- would those be distress noises? Or no and its only when she's quiet and sickly looking like you said above that I should really worry? Im new to chickens so I don't know much! I really am appreciating and learning from all that you guys are saying so thank you so much!!

Does she have wattles? I have my daughter (9 years old) to help me medicate. I normally hold the chicken, putting my chest behind their heads, so they can't pull backwards. Whenever they have wattles, my daughter will gently but with enough effort, pull on the wattles until they open their beak. Then i will pop the pill in. If they don't have wattles, my daughter still have two hands and can pry open their beak for me. I know that we don't always have a set of helping hands, but if so, it makes a huge difference
Yes she has waddles! I sadly do not have any help so its all just me! I did try the waddle thing but it didn't open her mouth all the way just a tiny crack she would tild her head down when i pulled perhaps I am not being firm enough with this too.... hmm I will try again for todays pill.

Back
Top Bottom