Is my hen ok? 2 eggs at once?!

Pics
Remember what I told you about how to tell if your chicken is not feeling well? Poop is a minor detail compared to behavior.

You should get worried when you see your hen behaving with those symptoms I listed. However, projectile poop needs to be looked at.

Is she dripping any fluids from her vent? Is there any indication she's straining to push an egg out? Watch for that.

Glad you were able to match a thin-shell egg up to this hen. It tells us she needs continuing calcium still. If you go out, get some of this. View attachment 2439241Continue to give her one per day and monitor her eggs. As long as she's on this calcium therapy, she likely won't have any stuck eggs, at least.
Remember what I told you about how to tell if your chicken is not feeling well? Poop is a minor detail compared to behavior.

You should get worried when you see your hen behaving with those symptoms I listed. However, projectile poop needs to be looked at.

Is she dripping any fluids from her vent? Is there any indication she's straining to push an egg out? Watch for that.

Glad you were able to match a thin-shell egg up to this hen. It tells us she needs continuing calcium still. If you go out, get some of this. View attachment 2439241Continue to give her one per day and monitor her eggs. As long as she's on this calcium therapy, she likely won't have any stuck eggs, at least.
Yes the poop was kinda a projectile poop of water. It shot about 7 inches out of her butt and across the run. That was why I was concerned about the poop I should have said that better in my above comment. Whoops! Her poop has been abnormally drippy and runny in the last week or two I have been washing her butt and trimming but poop is getting stuck in the feathers still and even some just under her vent in the base of the feathers on her skin caked up there. I have been using warmed baby whipped and massaging it out but it keeps happening. Yes the calcium citrate is what I am going to the store on Tuesday for I just can't make it out until then that is why I am doing the tums now as per HeatherKellyBs recommendation for in the mean time.I can't watch her lay because of the design of my coop and nest box, I have to take a wall panel off to retrieve eggs and it freaks them out and they will run out if I do it with them in there so I can't tell that. But I do hear her screeching while she's in there- its really quite the commotion.

How does her crop feel?
Her crop feels fine- I massage it when I am giving the meds daily just to be sure. I can feel the massage breaking stuff up slightly in my hands but I think it feels how its supposed to feel. Ive never had an impacted crop case or sour crop so again I'm just guessing based on what i've read. It doesn't feel abnormally hard. She isn't ever as excited about treats any more but she does still peck at them and her food- she's the bottom of the pecking order so perhaps she hangs back so as to not get bullied.

Back
Top Bottom