Is my hen OK?

James_in_Utah

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 6, 2008
Hi,
I've been away from the board here for about a year. I keep meaning to get back in the habit of reading it, but things have been going so well with my small flock that I haven't needed to look to the experts for advice. Now I'm starting to think one of my hens is having a problem. She has been staying in the nest box for about two weeks now. She laid a couple of eggs initially, but nothing for over a week. If I take her out at the end of the day she seems healthy. She runs around charging at the other hens and trying to wolf down as much food as is chickenly possible. After gorging herself for about 30 minutes, she wants to take a dust bath. After about an hour of being out with the other hens, she is ready to go back to her box. I think she would stay in there forever if I didn't pull her out. Is this just being broody? I'm worried that she isn't laying, and when the other hens lay in other boxes, she doesn't seem to be interested in thier eggs. She just wants to stay in the same box all of the time. She is a very sweet americana but she is acting very strange right now. Any hints would be welcomed.
Thanks!
James

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom