Is my hen on strike?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SuburbanChickFarmer, Feb 12, 2009.

1. SuburbanChickFarmer

SuburbanChickFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2008
    I have a Welsummer hen who was laying an egg about every other day. She is in a coop with a Welsummer roo and that's all, just the two of them. She is only 9 months old and started laying around 5 1/2 - 6months old, and now for the past 3 weeks, nothing. Not an egg, not even a squat like she wants to lay an egg. She's not acting strange, is eating well, but no eggs! We had a very cold snap for about a week so when she stopped laying, I figured it was the weather, however, the weather is pretty much back to normal so I can't attribute her lack of egg laying to the weather anymore. Has this happened to anyone else? I was planning on some Welsummer chicks this spring but with no eggs, that's not gonna happen!

2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

She's taking a break. They need it and it's normal... with a larger number of hens sometimes they stagger their break time so you will get a few eggs at least, but with only one you are at Mother Nature's mercy. [edit] length of break can vary, but once she starts again you'll be able to hatch em.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  3. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Does she free-range? I had the same seem-to-be problem with my hen. She recently started laying at least one egg per day. Then it appeared she stopped.... for many days I waited. Then I followed her when she bounded from the pen one morning. Sure enough, I found her in the brush. She had made a nice little nest for herself. I went away and came back about 20 mins later. She was back in the pen with the two roos I have with her. I went to her "secret" nest and there were 5 eggs!!! We were both luck I found them rather than another animal, like the raccoons that frequent my yard at night. Anyway, if she is out of the pen at all, check around and watch for her in a secret nest. I could tell mine was mad at me for taking her eggs from the nest box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by