Is my hen REALLY BROODY?????

Crazyhenlady

Songster
7 Years
Feb 8, 2012
Everett, Wa
So the last 3 days my Blue Cochin has been on the nest most of the time and takes maybe three 3-7 min breaks. Weird thing is she isn't aggressive and doesn't make noises when I put my hands by her. I just put 6 bantam eggs under her. When I went to open the coop door she sat there but when I put my hands by her she got up to take a break (it was about a 7 min break)..Is she REALLY broody? Don't most hens put up a fight? Anyone?

It's an individual thing.... She may not give you any trouble. Sounds like she's broody, sitting on the nest and just taking short breaks - I think so....
fl.gif

I have 2 broody right now trying to share a nest with only 4 eggs in it. The 1st 1 that went broody just kinda sits there until I actually try to look under her or move her. Then she just lifts her tail feathers & hackles a bit. The 2nd hen to join in hasn't tried to peck me yet, but she definitely lets me know her displeasure at being disturbed. She fluffs up & does the "brrrrrrrrrrr brrrrrrrrreeeeek brrrrrrrreeeeeeeee brrrrrrrrrrrrr" at me when she thinks I'm gonna reach for her or the eggs. On the other hand, let 1 of my kids try the same thing & they both peck the crap out of them...lol

My broody is super gentle and never even thinks of trying anything! She was hatching today and I've looked under her several times and no problems at all. It does worry me a tad when we let her with the other hens, if she will stand up to the other hens... time will tell.

Hmmm..Ya. Ive only had one other broody hen and she got off the nest MAYBE once a day. Maybe this gal is just more comfortable?..Everytime she exits the coop I go "Oh no!" but she seems to go back within a few mins. She's taking about 4 breaks a day.

Sounds like she takes shorter breaks than my broodies. Mine take 20-30 minutes about once per day. I think I've seen Sarah off the nest twice in a day but that was only after Lily joined her. Now they go out together once per day & individually once per day. I just moved them into the house into a dog kennel last night because it was time for lockdown and that particular coop has too many chickens in it at the moment as it is (I'm waiting on someone to move my other 2 sets of cages & a 3rd set of 3 to be delivered tomorrow morning). Plus, I have bator babies I wanted to try to slip under them as theirs hatch too that are only a couple days older. My brooder box is overflowing. As soon as the other cages get here & the 8 eggs they are sitting on hatch they will all be heading outside to their own cages for a week or 2 til the babies don't need momma's warmth any more & I can return my girls to the big coop.

Sounds like she takes shorter breaks than my broodies. Mine take 20-30 minutes about once per day. I think I've seen Sarah off the nest twice in a day but that was only after Lily joined her. Now they go out together once per day & individually once per day. I just moved them into the house into a dog kennel last night because it was time for lockdown and that particular coop has too many chickens in it at the moment as it is (I'm waiting on someone to move my other 2 sets of cages & a 3rd set of 3 to be delivered tomorrow morning). Plus, I have bator babies I wanted to try to slip under them as theirs hatch too that are only a couple days older. My brooder box is overflowing. As soon as the other cages get here & the 8 eggs they are sitting on hatch they will all be heading outside to their own cages for a week or 2 til the babies don't need momma's warmth any more & I can return my girls to the big coop.
wow, you have a lot going on. I'm on high alert with just one hen...lol. She only took one break today. I think the other hens my have layed and egg or two when she was up . I'm going to try and check when she's up eating tomorrow and remove the non fertile eggs.

I haven't hit the "push to test" button on my broodies, although one hen got too close one day and they both unleashed on her
hmm.png
, cursed her out! I felt bad for her....

They start clucking and making strange little sounds when I enter the coop and fill the feeder or get eggs from the other boxes. 4 more days
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
jumpy.gif

I have Brahma banty's which go broody ALOT, when I let them set and even when chicks hatch, I can easily reach under them and they make no fuss AT ALL. I think cochins are a nice calm bird and don't think it's unusual for them to be non aggressive.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom