Is my hen sick? :( helppp?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FrankieMcElfresh, Jul 23, 2011.

1. FrankieMcElfresh

FrankieMcElfresh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    Ohio
    Okay so I went to check on my chickens this morning and one of my girls wasnt acting right, and her face looked a little more red than her other sisters, Im thinking its the heat, its been over 100 degrees this week here in ohio and im thinking shes not taking the heat as well, i have them fresh ice cold water 24/7, in a cool area and even have a little kiddy pool with an inch of water to keep their feet cool, im just thinking shes not taking the heat as well as the others, she mainly kept to herself today other than with her sisters as usual. any ideas? oh and by the way she is around 13-14 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

2. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Sounds heat related to me. When mine would get overheated I would get some fresh, cool water in a bucket and hold them in it up to the base of their wings. They lose alot of heat through their legs, so cooling their legs always helps. Also, you can mist her with the hose. All of mine hated it but one little barred rock, and I couldn't keep her away from it (RIP Soupie). She was a strange little chicken...

Anyhow, just keep a close eye on her, and good luck!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Try getting a couple of box fans and placing them in their pen to get the air circulating as well.

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Echoing above - fans for sure.

She may need to recuperate indoors in a cooler area for a few days (or until heat breaks), preferably with a good buddy. Heat can kill and they vary in their tolerances.

JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by