Is my hen truly a roo?

Hennyhenhen

In the Brooder
Feb 7, 2022
Indiana
Had terrible luck with a batch of silkies from a hatchery getting mareks and dying or most of them being Roos. I thought this one was a hen. She’s never crowed before and her siblings (two other silkies) started crowing months ago. Can anyone tell by appearance if this is a hen? She’s not as fluffy and round as my other two Roos, but I do have an older roo not from this batch that is skinnier like her.

Video of her/him crowing on my instagram @loweryspoultry

Attachments

• AC5AD5B9-2EE9-4761-9820-1C3FA87C0BC7.png
    AC5AD5B9-2EE9-4761-9820-1C3FA87C0BC7.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 23
Had terrible luck with a batch of silkies from a hatchery getting mareks and dying or most of them being Roos.
Sorry for your losses! :hugs

Age required, that's a terrible picture for gender ID. Side standing picture showing saddle and picture of comb/wattles up close and clear with crest pulled back. I've had some roosters crow as young as 3 weeks and other not until almost 2 years old.. each is an individual.

I agree with others.. although hens can and do crow, mount other birds, and even grow spurs.. it's very unlikely for pullets in MY experience to be crowing, I've not seen it YET.

Noting for behavioral and medical purposes.. anything under a year old is still a pullet or cockerel. Rooster and hen.. technically not until 1 year old +.. My family still calls them hens and roo's in casual conversation.

So.. sorry to "go there".. but do you already know he likely also has Marek's or is carrying it, despite not showing symptoms? Please don't re-home him unless it's to the stock pot. (yes, I harvest my extra Silkie boys) Some of us breed for resistance.. not knowing if that's even truly possible. My state poultry vet at UC Davis suggest getting all chicks vaccinated. Marek's in older birds *may* look more like slow wasting or crop dysfunction than the more obvious signs seen in juveniles.

One other quick note on straight run.. I have had individual batches be 8 boys and 2 girls while another batch was 3 females only.. in the long run it did level off to being 50/50 ish.

Hope everyone continues to thrive! :fl

Back
Top Bottom