Is my hen turning into a rooster???!!! - now with pics!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by esjro, Oct 12, 2008.

1. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    i am not sure here are some of mine
    [​IMG]

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    She could just be maturing very early. I wouldn't think she is a rooster unless she shows some other rooster signs like hackle/sickle feathers.

3. mikarod

mikarod Songster

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    It's a hen.

Hens WILL change to the point that they can look like roosters (combs, wattles) but the feathering doesn't change. It's because of the lack of a rooster. The testosterone in her body is surging...don't ask me why...because of no rooster. She feels that one of them must be a rooster.

I had a hen that I got from a neighbor that had never seen a rooster in her life. I put her in with a rooster and I'll have you know she STILL acted like a rooster after it! lol!

My hen had one of the largest combs and wattle development on a hen I have ever seen (with the exception of Mediterranean breeds).

The only way it could be a male would be if the male was XXY. Klinefelter's Syndrome.

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Deffo a hen...for yours too chickn...
    Being Queen of the Crowing Hen, I can say that for a fact.[​IMG]

5. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    lol dont scare me there spotted, i wasnt in questioning it, now you have me scared. :eek:

6. Carolina Chicken Man

Carolina Chicken Man Songster

Mar 29, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm pretty sure they are all hens.

There is variation in comb and wattle sizes.

7. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Songster

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    I supposedly have red stars (that's what they told me) and they all have large combs and wattles. I'd be looking at the hackle feathers. If they're pointy you've got a roo, rounded is a hen. It takes a while for spurs to grow in, and even hens sometimes have tiny ones. You're hen cannot "turn into" a rooster, by the way. For comparison, just cause a man might like dressing in ladies clothes, he won't suddenly become a she. Same with your hen. She might just ACT like a roo.

I thought red stars had white roos? Or is that just "red-sex link" birds?

8. setter4

setter4 Songster

May 8, 2008
    Central Pennsylvania
    She is a hen. JMHO I went thru the same thing with mine...every week I decided a different one was a roo. Turns out none are![​IMG] She is just developing faster than the rest.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I agree. She's just an early bloomer.
    ETA: I have one hen that turned red in the comb and grew wattles around 10 weeks old. She's right now in the nest box laying her daily egg.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  10. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

I'm pretty sure that's a hen, she's just developing faster than everyone else. You may even get some nice early eggs from her!

She's a very pretty bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: