Is my hen turning into a rooster???!!! - now with pics!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by esjro, Oct 12, 2008.

1. reallemons1

reallemons1 Songster

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    Being a sex-link if she were a roo she would be white. I would say she is the more mature hen of the bunch.

2. esjro

esjro Songster

Aug 22, 2008
    Stockton, NJ
    We have 2 votes for roo, and 8 votes for hen. Thank you voting everyone! [​IMG]

3. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Still looks like a pullet to me.

4. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    Maine
    Hold on, Hold on!!!!! :eek: I don't think she/he is a rooster!!!! Our red star pullet has the same exact wattles/comb like that! And believe me, ours is definitely a female! We have proof because we SAW her lay an egg! [​IMG] So, it doesn't always depend on the wattles/comb. Our pullet has the biggest one and we thought she was a male at first, until she layed that egg. So not all hope is lost for your chicken being a female. Our pullet is 4 months old.
    So I really think you guys are mistaken. [​IMG] She's most likely a female. Like I said, you can't always determine gender by the wattles/comb. Maybe she's just developing faster than the others ladies, like humans do. But I would say she's a girl. [​IMG]

5. HeatherHillary

HeatherHillary In the Brooder

Oct 9, 2008
    Portland OR
    I am another person with a very butch hen. She is a big gorgeous black sex link, with very pronounced comb and wattles, who crows several mornings a week, sometimes from the peak of her hen house! She is definitely a hen, there are many eggs to prove it, but crowing hens definitely exist. Good luck with neighbors if you have one! We just moved to a city where chickens aren't legal (yet!), so we have switched their hen house for a dog crate, that we bring in at night, so when she crows in the morning, the neighbors can't hear her!

6. Soot the silkie

Soot the silkie Songster

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    She does look like a pullet.

7. holleyhippie

holleyhippie In the Brooder

May 3, 2015
    We live in a rural area. We've had chickens for the eleven years we've lived here. Had roosters once or twice, but decided to be roosterless. We've had more than one hen acquire male characteristics. Yes, they crow, they grow spurs, they mount the other hens. In reading about this, I read that this happens when an injury occurs and the left ovary isn't functioning correctly. Well, none of our hens that transgendered had injuries. And another thing, the one we have now fertilized her own eggs. We know this, because there are no roosters here. We know the color of her eggs and they are definately fertilized. We haven't noticed any of the other eggs being fertilized, just hers. So everything I've read in here thus far is inaccurate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: