Is my incubator faulty or my eggs ? Need help

aseel lover

Chirping
Mar 26, 2018
I am at day 8 and only two eggs out of 10 show veins 3 eggs show blood rings and other show nothing..i am soo sad because they are eggs of my two late hens who died from new castle disease..i am completely new in this.what causes these blood rings and what causes faulty hatching.please guide me

I am using homemade incubator humidity between 40 and 50 and temperature between 37.5 and 38

The likely cause of early quitters, resulting in blood rings, is too high of heat. The humidity doesn't effect development (unless extreme dry or wet) but I find 30-35% RH is best to grow the air cell to proper size before hatching. 70% RH during hatch.

You made this incubator yourself. Does it have a fan? Where are you taking the air temperature and where are the eggs? By that I mean height in incubator- is your reading lower, higher or level with the eggs? Are you turning the eggs several times a day?

Dialing in an incubator for best hatch rates takes a few tries. Getting to know the equipment and where best to take readings. Where the hot and cold spots are in that given incubator and how far off your thermometer is.

I calibrate thermometers with oral thermometers. Oral thermometers are inexpensive yet the most accurate tool you have until spending big money on lab quality.

You've got some good advice above, but I'll add the other thing I thought of.
Does your thermometer have a record of the hottest temperature in the past 24hr or an alarm if the temperature gets too high? I found when I was dimmer switching my DIY incubator, over the course of the day I'd have to adjust it over and over. One of those times was right in the middle of the night; with the house closed up, less drafts meant the incubator stayed warmer. By morning the house cooled down and I'd have to turn it back up. It would have been easy to miss if my thermometer hadn't had an alarm.
If you're using a temperature controller, all that is less of a concern.
The other possibility is that it's not your incubator. The way hatcheries and breeders get consistent good hatch rates starts with special diets and healthy birds. Since yours were sick, it's likely their fertility was impacted. That doesn't just mean eggs that don't develop, that can also cause quitters at any stage. I don't think there's any way to verify that though short of double checking everything else. :/
Good luck on the rest of your hatch! It's so hard to lose favourite birds, I hope the remaining eggs make it.

I'm curious to see a photo of your DIY incubator. Is it a fan or still air type?
Fan type and i set the temperature between 37.5 and 38

Attachments

• IMG_20210102_210536_178.jpg
    IMG_20210102_210536_178.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210102_210546_388.jpg
    IMG_20210102_210546_388.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210102_210552_851.jpg
    IMG_20210102_210552_851.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 4
The likely cause of early quitters, resulting in blood rings, is too high of heat. The humidity doesn't effect development (unless extreme dry or wet) but I find 30-35% RH is best to grow the air cell to proper size before hatching. 70% RH during hatch.

You made this incubator yourself. Does it have a fan? Where are you taking the air temperature and where are the eggs? By that I mean height in incubator- is your reading lower, higher or level with the eggs? Are you turning the eggs several times a day?

Dialing in an incubator for best hatch rates takes a few tries. Getting to know the equipment and where best to take readings. Where the hot and cold spots are in that given incubator and how far off your thermometer is.

I calibrate thermometers with oral thermometers. Oral thermometers are inexpensive yet the most accurate tool you have until spending big money on lab quality.
I am using fan based incubator also a temperature controller installed i put the sensor over those eggs which are far from frim the bulb

Back
Top Bottom