is my little EE a roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gardengrll, Jun 8, 2011.

1. gardengrll

gardengrll New Egg

Apr 28, 2011
    So - got 2 little 6-week EEs. hoping for some pretty eggs! But one came with a bum leg and not sure how she'll do when we put her in with the other chickens, and this one I've dubbed "little roo" since about 2 weeks based on behavior. Much more aggressive and crazy than the other chicks - walks differently - jumps around so much we had to separate it from the chick with the bad leg. So - thought I'd add some expert opinions to my guessing game! Kids are already begging to keep it if it's a rooster and raise a batch of chicks next spring....now if i could just figure out how to insert the photos I uploaded to my page.....

2. gardengrll

gardengrll New Egg

Apr 28, 2011
    ok - here are the pics. 1st is as close to a confirmation shot as the chick would provide. 2nd is from a week ago - showed coloring at that point - about the same now -- 3rd shows headshot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Hmm.. it might be a little early, but I'm going to vote roo based on that comb and the coloring (from what I've learned on here, black/white is more common for male EEs).

Love those fuzzy legs! ...those fuzzy, yellow legs. Also just looked again and the comb seems single, and I'm not seeing much in the way of a beard/muff. You sure that's an EE...?

4. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    He's def a roo. Not b/c of stance or attitude but b/c he has a very large red comb for his age

5. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Its comb is very big for a pullet that age, and if the other one looks like this two i wouldn't expect green eggs. Someone correct me if im wrong but they look like a light brahma.
    *edit didn't notice the other one is in there. lol yes the first is a roo and second is a pullet. I hate to tell you this but those are not EE's.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  6. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    I don't think their EE's either, but the first looks rooish and the 2nd looks pullet like to me.

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    That's not an EE, it's a light brahma. [​IMG].

8. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Quote:I think they are all pics of the same chicken [​IMG] [​IMG]

It may still be to early to tell, but the comb is def looking a little red for only being 6wks, but I don't see any wattles yet either?? So you may need some more time to figure this one out!

9. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    3 pictures, 1 chick. It does resemble a light brahma, esp. with the feathered legs. My light brahmas didn't have the dark 'dusting' on the head though when they were chicks. I would say it is a little cockerel though based on the comb on the first picture.

10. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Oh my... have you ever seen a Brahma roo?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by