Is my little Jill really a Jack?

Froggiesmom

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 29, 2012
Tehachapi, CA
My Coop
My Coop
This little chicken has always been pretty forthright in attitude and dominates the others. I was looking at her today as my hubby asked me a couple weeks ago if she is a he?

I have no idea. The comb is coming in bright red. The tail feathers are carried high and when ever anyone enters the room she/he is front and center with neck arched and looking you right in the eye. I am also seeing little nubs on the backs of the legs.

This is an easter egger/Amerecauna, and one of two. The other is silver and wheat colored and her comb is combing in a more pinky/natural color.
comb

If a rooster we are fine with that, but are wondering if there is a way to neuter?

Here are some pics. The nubs are kinda hard to see, but you might be able to spot them.

Thanks!

And the coop is nearing completion and they will be in the Chickmansion this week!

From your description of its behavior and looking at its hackle feathers...they look rather pointy, I'd vote ROO.

Even hens get little spur nubs (kind of like nipples on men) so that's not a true indicator when they are this young.

Back
Top Bottom