is my orpington a roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by candyNflowers, Mar 10, 2013.

1. candyNflowers

candyNflowers Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2013
    Albany, Oregon
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Popcorn is our first buff orpington and is bigger than our 3 other breeds so i dont have another orp to compair to. Popcorn just got the little nubs for the back claw but comb is mostly orange at almost 5 weeks. my husband thought there were slight pink tinges to the comb today but nothing dark. Is Popcorn a roo or pullet. hoping for pullet but suspect it might be other. very friendly chicken so far though.-lisa
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    That comb is really weird. Orpingtons have single combs, so I'm wondering if there's something else in there...anyway, I'm tentatively saying rooster just because of how big his legs are, but others may disagree :) Also, a surefire way to tell if you have a roo or a pullet in orpingtons is the feather color. Hens have one-tone colored feathers, but roosters are two-tone, with the regular buff colors but also some orangey colors. That's how I was able to tell Honey, my buff orp roo, was a boy.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Comb does seem odd for a BO. Aren't the legs the wrong color for a BO too? I've only had a couple of them but their legs were very light, almost white. But based on body shape and legs, as well as the width of that comb I'd guess that's a rooster.

4. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree it should be a single comb. Due to the lack of feathers at 5 weeks and large legs I also say rooster/cockeral.

5. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

The comb does look different and the legs are yellow must be a mix here is a pic of my BO roo about 8wks old
    [​IMG]

6. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    yeah not an orp and it's a boy.

either mixed or buff wyandotte- buff wyandottes are pretty rare though... wyandotte because that's a rose comb and they are a yellow leg breed.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by